One Call In-home CLOSERS Techniques.

After you get in the door. After you've exposed their needs and shown them a solution, or two to choose from, how do you get past the thinkers and procrastinators?

How do you turn these into an application?

1. Well, we're not going to do anything today.

2. I had no idea this would be this type of appointment, I thought you were just dropping off some information.

3. Could you please just leave us some information and your card and we'll call you when we're ready?

4. My kids handle all of this.

I'm sure there's a ton more. I'm thinking experienced people probably know the TOP 10 reasons why people won't buy right there on the spot and work them into their presentations or try to review with the prospects when they are not closing.

For example. Is it me? Is it the amount of coverage? Is it the premium? Is it the company?

I realize there are other factors such as, they must like and trust you, and respect your knowledge of the industry etc.

What are some good closing techniques?

2. I had no idea this would be this type of appointment, I thought you were just dropping off some information.

3. Could you please just leave us some information and your card and we'll call you when we're ready?

Where do I even start? If you get any of these, you are doing something wrong. #2, that's your fault for not being upfront with them. #4, you won't turn this around, it's best to find out before spending much time with them. #1 & #3, you didn't qualify upfront, they most likely don't perceive the need for what you offer and you didn't lay out the sales process ahead of time and get their agreement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Believe it or not, sales isn't about fighting objections and going for the kill. It's about finding people who can benefit from what you offer, are qualified to purchase it, AND want your help. If those three all don't exist, you don't have a prospect. Fighting objections and turning around the responses you listed above doesn't work in real life. It makes your job miserable and the prospects won't do business with you. On the rare circumstances you do convince someone to buy from you, it will lapse anyway.

The secret to closing is doing a proper job on the front end of the sale, then closing should be a natural consquence.

Last edited:
After you get in the door. After you've exposed their needs and shown them a solution, or two to choose from, how do you get past the thinkers and procrastinators?

I'm sure there's a ton more. I'm thinking experienced people probably know the TOP 10 reasons why people won't buy right there on the spot and work them into their presentations or try to review with the prospects when they are not closing.

For example. Is it me? Is it the amount of coverage? Is it the premium? Is it the company?

I realize there are other factors such as, they must like and trust you, and respect your knowledge of the industry etc.

What are some good closing techniques?

I am so sorry for giving you this impression. Did you think you could buy this today? One of the biggest misconceptions is that you buy insurance with money. You actually buy insurance with your health, and based on your health will determine how much money you will spend.

Do you have any other questions over anything we have covered so far?

Makes pretty good sense doesn't it?

What we are going to do today is to find out what health bracket you qualify for, and then we will talk about the money; is that fair?

I use to be with a captive agency that pushed the so-called 1 call sales close, and I refuse to do it now. In the past four years since emancipating myself I have had not one cancellation. In the three years or so that I was with the captive agency I had almost 150 cancellations in a three year period. The real reason they pushed for a 1 call sales close is because they were a inferior B rated company worried about anybody doing there homework on the product they were considering.

#2, that's your fault for not being upfront with them.

Well, thanks for the input here. I'm having a bit of a difficult time with my closing ratios. I'm brand new selling insurance but 18 years selling autos, auto financing plus value added stuff and mortgages. So, I have made a decent career out of sales thus far.

I try to be humble and follow my trainer but here's the scoop. They set appointments for me. A qualified appointment is a call to a senior who agrees to have some "info dropped off" at a certain time tomorrow. That info could be about anything regarding senior health stuff (but obviously not MAs and MAPDs). So, I've been questioning this technique. almost 50% no-shows and obviously some confused people. I lead with whatever product they were told I was bringing info on and determine where to go from there.

I'm not saying it won't work for some people as I understand some folks just walk a neighborhood and knock on doors and get sales. It's a little disjointed and unstructured for me though.

I totally accept the fact that I'm brand new at this but this style is presenting it's challenges when people actually tell me "the caller was very insistant" or actually as an objection at the end, they will outright say they are uncomfortable with the way we do business.

Your comments verify to me this is not a great technique to start with. You basically get in the home under a false pretense and what kind of a way is that to initiate a sales presentation and closing? I have closed some though and others do to.

Previous sales jobs can actually be a liability. You need to deprogram yourself.

Anytime you go in for any type of "close" just imagine HAL saying "what are you doing Dave?"

Well, thanks for the input here. I'm having a bit of a difficult time with my closing ratios. I'm brand new selling insurance but 18 years selling autos, auto financing plus value added stuff and mortgages. So, I have made a decent career out of sales thus far.

I try to be humble and follow my trainer but here's the scoop. They set appointments for me. A qualified appointment is a call to a senior who agrees to have some "info dropped off" at a certain time tomorrow. That info could be about anything regarding senior health stuff (but obviously not MAs and MAPDs). So, I've been questioning this technique. almost 50% no-shows and obviously some confused people. I lead with whatever product they were told I was bringing info on and determine where to go from there.

I'm not saying it won't work for some people as I understand some folks just walk a neighborhood and knock on doors and get sales. It's a little disjointed and unstructured for me though.

I totally accept the fact that I'm brand new at this but this style is presenting it's challenges when people actually tell me "the caller was very insistant" or actually as an objection at the end, they will outright say they are uncomfortable with the way we do business.

Your comments verify to me this is not a great technique to start with. You basically get in the home under a false pretense and what kind of a way is that to initiate a sales presentation and closing? I have closed some though and others do to.

What part of MO are you from. I may have someone who can help mentor you.

I am so sorry for giving you this impression. Did you think you could buy this today? One of the biggest misconceptions is that you buy insurance with money. You actually buy insurance with your health, and based on your health will determine how much money you will spend.

Do you have any other questions over anything we have covered so far?

Makes pretty good sense doesn't it?

What we are going to do today is to find out what health bracket you qualify for, and then we will talk about the money; is that fair?

Insuranceexec,
This is great stuff here!

As healthagent eludes to, I may need some deprogramming but that is where some SUPERIOR training could help. Training, training and more.

I sold cars too. Let me ask you something - with the sales tactics employed if anyone would return a car within the first year no questions asked - how would the average dealership do?

When they say not interested, I say...

"you know its funny that you say that, because I get that A LOT from folks that are healthy. But then every day I have to turn away folks that are begging for insurance because they are already sick. you know, Mr./Mrs.____ No one can read the future, BUT I can assure you that you will eventually need and use your life insurance, because you WILL eventually pass away. This is not an item to procrastinate on, because health doesn't always last, and I want to make sure your family has the protection they need in the event of your death, but I understand you need some time to think it over. you should give some thought to what we have spoken about today, and i will call you back tomorrow just to follow up. (start packing) Thank you for your time, and call me anytime with any questions you may have."

if you prequalified the lead, 9/10 will start asking you more questions right then, because you seem less as a salesman and more as AN AGENT... Most likely you won't get to the door without them asking for the sale, and if you do, call back the next day... they will usually tell you that they thought all night about it and your right. try it... it works

Back