One Company or Many

Experienced Agent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I've been told that Humana has a great bonus program. I know of an agent that sells only Humana and bonuses very high(so I'm told). My question is, since I'm working phone leads and doing everything over internet, does it make sense to go with best paying product in their best geographic location, as this person does with Humana. I'm licensed in many states and it would be no problem to sell anytwhere in the country.

No.1, where in the world are you? 2. What states are you licensed in? and 3. Are you nuts to only have 1 product available to your clients (you might as well be captive!!!!) I get the money part. But it is your duty to do what's best for your clients. You should have more carriers available. Just my 3 cents worth because i'm worth more than 2. Dan

Not to mention that more than likely your one product won't take everyone (at least not this year) so you would want more than one company for other clients. Best paying product around doesn't help if they don't accept a client- X dollars is better than ZERO dollars.

And while this is a business, this is not just selling car wax to people. Get more products for clients to make sure they are properly protected at an adequate rate.

I have UHC, CUL, Humana, Assurant, BC/BS South Carolina and Celtic. I'm in SC. It's hard to master all of them. The UHC looks pretty good here. What commission should I expect from them...I'm going to transfer my appointment from old broker relationship that I have'nt had contact with in two years. I never know when these IMO's are giving the appropriate street level.

I agree with andins. You need multiple carriers to quote to truly do the best thing for your clients. If you always do the right thing the compensation will come. Thinking about commissions first is one of the reasons our industry has a bad reputation.

Also, like NCPCLHnoob said, one carrier won't take (or satisfy) all people. Some prospects may have had a bad experience, and what you will lose in compensation there may not be made up with the better bonus program.

Do what is right for the client everytime and you will reap the rewards through reputation, referrals, and (of course) sleeping well at night. Which it appears is what you are currently doing now.

Is there a good place to study all of the carriers to learn how to best sell them and who they will take?

Is there a good place to study all of the carriers to learn how to best sell them and who they will take?

I have always found asking the carriers for training has worked out best. They know the features that outsell the competition, and they typically have a sweetspot or ideal client profile that they are happy to share.

Back