One Year Out of College; I Have California P&C, Life, and & Health Licenses and Work Full Time. How

xinsx

Hello Everyone!

I am a 22 year old living in southern California who has his P&C, Life, Accident and Health licenses. So I am able to transact all lines of insurance in california to my knowledge. I am one year out of college, with my B. A. in Business Admin that I got Jan 2013.

Right now, I am working as an account executive full time, monday-friday 7:30-4:30 and making about $2350 monthly. I got my licenses in 2013 while I was working as a Financial Planner trainee, but that never panned out because the firm I was working with was a churn and burn type (no more friends and family? next!).

I was hoping to find some way to put my licenses to use maybe sell some insurance after work, but I have no idea where to begin. Most brokerages close by the time I'm off of work (I tried looking for positions as an insurance producer afterhours and weekends), so that is out.

The thing is, if I won't be working for a brokerage then I will have no one to guide me, so I don't really know how to begin. I have no idea where to get leads, what insurance I should sell, etc.

I have E&O ins. for life and health, but none for P&C. Also I am covered California certified.

However, I have never wrote any piece of business on my own.
Any suggestions as to how I can make extra money with insurance would be great. Right now I am making nowhere near the money I thought I would one year out of college, and I know that while I can find a higher paying job, in the long term I would much rather be working for myself as opposed to someone else. My current job is pretty stress free, so I have plenty of energy left to pursue insurance after work. I am just looking for some direction and input.

Re: One Year Out of College; I Have California P&C, Life, and & Health Licenses and Work Full Time. How to Get Started S

The biggest problem you're going to run into is that the reputable companies you seek aren't really all about part timers. They are usually all-in situations or see ya later. You see, there's a cost for them too in this process and they know part timers even make it less than those who come in full time.

The places that will take you as you want, aren't going to be the places you want to be.

Good Luck

Re: One Year Out of College; I Have California P&C, Life, and & Health Licenses and Work Full Time. How to Get Started S

First step - check for any updates that you may need from your states' insurance department. You might need to take a course or submit a document to make sure that you are an updated license holder in insurance.

Second, go start looking for insurance companies to work for.

The way you choose the insurance company to work with is like applying for an insurance. Know their products, their policies, their processes. Were they a reputable and reliable insurance company? etc.

It sounds like what you really want to do is be an independent agent, but dont know just yet how to go about it. I am assuming that you are a captive agent where you are now?

Find a good company to go to work for that will train you.

Back