Only Filing a Claim for Part of an Accident

sandsden

I have a truck whos entire drivers side from front fender to back fender suffered damage as it was driven and scrapped along a immovable pole.

I am sure the price of a full repair would be more than they truck (blue book 2200). However now the driver side door wont close (latch securely). Is it possible to put in a claim on just part of the damage, meaning I dont care about the cosmetics ...I just want the drivers side door to close securely (along with the cabs third door which resides on the drivers side). So I would claim the drivers door & extended cab third door. I do have full/collision insurance and its through Progressive.

Claim the whole accident. If they total the vehicle you can buy it back and have just the door fixed. I wouldn't carry full coverage on a vehicle worth so little.

I didn't want to make a post until there was another in the thread.

I am probably considerable money behind because I do carry full coverage on everything.

but what xrac said has been my experience. With a hail or collision claim that totals the vehicle, the ins co gives me two prices - one if I keep the car, one if I don't. I can choose based on what I think about the vehicle. After that point, they only let me have the liability and towing coverage for that particular vehicle.

To be clear, xrac is correct, but also know that it isn't possible to file for part of a claim. You file the full claim and then the payment is the settlement. Can you get less then full value out of the settlement? Hopefully not.

If they total the car, not a big deal. Just keep it and get fixed what you want to get fixed and leave what you want. You actually end up ahead this way.

Only issue is if you owe money on the car. If the repairs are not being done, they have to write the check to the lien holder first and you get any balance left over.

Dan

Back