Opening a New Insurance Agency - Need Advice!

amin.molidina

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of opening a new insurance agency. I have my P&C and L&H license. I currently own a tax practice and wish to sell insurance to my clients.

I am debating if I should go through a GA or try to get appointments on my own. I heard it is extremely difficult to get appointments. If that is true, do you guys recommend going through a GA. If so, are there certain ones you would recommend?

So for a I have looked into Insurance Noodle and Smart Choice. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of opening a new insurance agency. I have my P&C and L&H license. I currently own a tax practice and wish to sell insurance to my clients.

I am debating if I should go through a GA or try to get appointments on my own. I heard it is extremely difficult to get appointments. If that is true, do you guys recommend going through a GA. If so, are there certain ones you would recommend?

So for a I have looked into Insurance Noodle and Smart Choice. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

SIAA might be a good choice to go with but it could be a little pricey. Check out a local chapter in your state

Hello everyone,

what state are you looking to open up in.

I would highly recommend teaming up with an ia or joining a franchise.

Good Luck

I am not sure what area you are in but here in Montana it is not that hard to get appointments. When I started I only had a few carriers and other didn't want to give me an appointment since there is another agency 3 buildings away or I was to new of and agency even thought I had been in the industry 13 years . So I worked hard with what carriers I had and chose not to do the SIAA or any others . After a year of business those carriers were calling me asking me if I wanted an appointment as our growth was quite large. Well the shoe now is on the other foot and I politely told them I would think about an appointment with them but I was not interested in them as they didn't want me then why would I need you now. I have reps calling and emailing on a weekly basis asking me to sell for them and I decline. If I needed them I would consider it but If I am doing well with what I have just because you have many carriers doesn't mean your more successful and nor do you use them all. So why have a bunch of carriers that you wouldn't use. I chose not to use clusters because It keeps more money in my pocket then. But this really depends on what is available to you.

I am not sure what area you are in but here in Montana it is not that hard to get appointments. When I started I only had a few carriers and other didn't want to give me an appointment since there is another agency 3 buildings away or I was to new of and agency even thought I had been in the industry 13 years . So I worked hard with what carriers I had and chose not to do the SIAA or any others . After a year of business those carriers were calling me asking me if I wanted an appointment as our growth was quite large. Well the shoe now is on the other foot and I politely told them I would think about an appointment with them but I was not interested in them as they didn't want me then why would I need you now. I have reps calling and emailing on a weekly basis asking me to sell for them and I decline. If I needed them I would consider it but If I am doing well with what I have just because you have many carriers doesn't mean your more successful and nor do you use them all. So why have a bunch of carriers that you wouldn't use. I chose not to use clusters because It keeps more money in my pocket then. But this really depends on what is available to you.

Great post! Shows how much you can do if you really put yourself to it. As a soon to be agency owner, I hope to follow your shoes. :)

Question: what is a standard 'commission only' pay structure for a sales person for a brand new agency? I'm hoping to hire top talent and not as worried about the margins while starting up, as my business plan is focusing on the residuals 3-5 years out. Thanks.

GlobalGreen insurance Agency/ Equity One Franchisors has the best split... I recommend them.

Back