Opening an agency office and getting appointed with carrier

Hi Albert....I've recently tried going the route you did and it didn't work out so great for me. Knowing what I know now, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd take my estimated start up cost and wouldn't open the doors until I had at least double that figure. I'd also look into purchasing a book of business before I opened. I've had so many companies say "no thank you" to me being appointment by them due to not having (at least a small) book of business.

What state are you in Allen. I think you can do it with 20 k. As long as you are ready to hustle and write a lot of business. I got started on 17k in the bank. First year is definitely the toughest but once you get through that it gets better and better.

What state are you in?

I am in CA

I think that you can partner up with the right people and create something bigger and it could be what you need.

I just started a scratch agency this past march and have all the carrier appointments I need. Look up a local SIAA chapter. They will help you get appointed and give you tons of support. I work from home. I have not had a single client say they would not do business with me because I don't have an office. You will need to save you capital. My monthly expenses are around 650 per month. Located in upstate SC.

What were your major challenges from home when you first started? Did you come from a captive company or was this total new prospects?

What were your major challenges from home when you first started? Did you come from a captive company or was this total new prospects?

You know this thread is 2 years old...right? Most of these guys are probably out of business by now. Instead of reviving dead threads, that didn't have much value to add in the first place...just post a new thread and ask the questions you need answered.

I came from a captive P&C based company with limited Life sales. Transitioned into life. In my situation, it's all about the leads. Best decision I've made in 4 years. :wacko:

Back