Opening Statement Advice...

Josh that is very helpful. I will sending you an email shortly. Thank you everyone. I feel it's time to make a change and get back to the basics.

Equally or more important than what you say is knowing how to maintain control of the call and smoothly transition the phone call into a conversation. Nothing is ever sold during the phone call portion, not even the appointment.

There are specific words that are designed to elicit the response you are looking for. Using the incorrect words will not get you the information and will most likely make the call unsuccessful.

The timing with which you say things is critical. You must not give the prospect the opportunity to take control of the call by saying something like "I'm not interested". If you do regaining control is very difficult.

The agent must have a smooth, well rehearsed, conversational phone presentation. It must sound like the agent is saying it for the first time. If the agent has to read a script when talking to a prospect then he may as well not even pick up the phone.

We only think we know what the prospect is hearing when we are talking. The best way to know for sure is to tape the calls you make and listen, with a very critical ear, to exactly what the prospect is hearing.It is the only way I know of to help an agent shorten the learning curve of properly using the phone. Agents are usually very surprised when they hear exactly what they are saying and how they are saying it.

I have been training agents to sell insurance and use the phone properly for quite a while and most agents talk way too fast when they start the call. When the phone rings people answer it only because it is ringing. They are always preoccupied doing something else. The agent must speak slowly and very clearly when starting the call to give the prospect time to direct their attention to what the agent is saying. I mean very slowly and very clearly.

Avoid at all costs using the same kind of stuff prospects hear from every agent who calls. Example: "The reason I'm calling is we have been saving people in your area an average of $xxx per year on their insurance." Or, "If I could save you $xxx on your insurance costs would you be interested in learning how". Prospects see right through that and know that the agent is simply making it up.

Your phone presentation should be designed for you to be able to determine whether or not you are talking to a viable prospect within the first sixty seconds of the call.

Josh is giving up some good advice above. Can't wait to see that cc website.

And Frank too!

Last edited:
My best advice is to gather as much info as you can from as many 'cold calling gurus' as you can and then try a few things out to see what feels comfortable and what works for you. I have several different things I say depending on my mood, whether or not I'm tired of hearing myself say the same thing over and over, or for any other reason.

Just pick something and try it out! Once you realize that no one will EVER jump through the phone and wring your neck, you'll do just fine. :twitchy:

And don't worry about wasting contacts. If you try something on a contact one day that doesn't work, but him at the bottom of the list and when you get to him again (and you will probably have refined your cold calling skills by then), he won't remember that you messed up the first time anyway...

Thanks Scotte. At the moment it is still pretty rough and I'm hoping to have it more fleshed out within the next few weeks, but if you want to check it out now it's: Free Telemarketing Scripts For Everyone!. More are on the way and the content should only improve.

That looks really nice Josh. Good work!;) One thing I don't see on there is your info to call you for list? I'm guessing you can't find a font big enough for that info?:D:D:D

I open just asking for the persons name and then apologize if we get cut out because I'm on my cell phone..The reason for that is it eliminates the "I'm a telemarketer calling from a place in India..." Then just find a common ground, and just be yourself.. Use the 80/20 rule..80% listening 20% listening and solving their need for final expense..Best of luck..Let them be the professional in their own life travels..

That looks really nice Josh. Good work!;) One thing I don't see on there is your info to call you for list? I'm guessing you can't find a font big enough for that info?:D:D:D

Thank you! I'm still working on it so it might take a little while. In one of the posts I mentioned my lists, but I probably need to give some more thought to what would be the classiest way of adding AffordableMarketingLists.com to it. I don't even have an e-mail address on it now!

Get to the point right away. I hate it when telemarketers do the following:

- Don't identify upfront that it's a cold-call. They pretend like they know me, or that they're a potential client asking me about my business. If you're so afraid of getting a 'no' that you deceive me upfront, then I fully expect you will lie to me to me so you can get a sale.

- Use filler. "Well that's a great question." And then proceed to beat around the bush.

-Don't assume your prospect is ignorant about your service. And know what the frack you're talking about. Woman today told me she can get me in Google's 7-pack because I have a good quality score. How? "Well, when a spot opens up we put you in it." Click.

Do:

-introduce yourself
-get to the point -- especially if calling a business. Don't waste my time. I'm interested, or not. Yes, open with your value proposition, but when I ask how you give me value, you better have you're #1 point ready to go. Then ask for the appointment. Don't dawdle, or you become a time-waster.

Back