Opting Out of Obamacare for 2019

Responding to the comment about the main difference with health sharing plans from ACA compliant insurance is the 24 month waiting period for pre-ex.
I have wondered what would happen to health sharing plans if we had, say, a catastrophic epidemic that filled hospitals with patients that lingered in ICU's for weeks.
Most insurance carriers have their own catastrophic insurance, called reinsurance to take over if huge massive losses happen all at once.
What would sharing plans do if they didn't have enough money to pay claims?

There are definitely other options out there, there are private PPO options, medically underwritten options, short term, etc. You would just need to contact a local agent that is an independent advisor, meaning they aren't tied to one company in particular. Brokers are tied to one company so they don't have access to all of the providers in the market. I can help you find a local advisor if needed, feel free to reach out or shoot me an email at [email protected] , I'm always happy to help!

Updating for California.

The IHC Fixed Benefit Plans have been removed from the CA market as of January 2019

The Petersen Medical (Medicare) Bridge Plan has been removed from the CA market effective 1/1/19.

If you are working-class or above then Obamacare is a complete disaster. It’s basically garbage insurance and in most cases isn’t even useable.

I had a fantastic $5,000 deductible prior to Obamacare. It included a couple of visits/year + highly discounted prescriptions. I was paying a less than $200/month that equivalent policy now would be over $1200/mo under ObamaCare.

And now Trump says The Republicans are developing a really bad Health Care Plan with far lower premiums (cost) & deductibles than ObamaCare.” But we all have to wait for this until next elections. what nonsense, just for sake of ruling out democrats republicans are using this tool until the next election

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a fantastic $5,000 deductible prior to Obamacare. It included a couple of visits/year + highly discounted prescriptions.

ALL of your covered medical expenses, not just Rx, were "highly discounted".

But I will agree. What we had before was far superior to the current offerings.

Back