Options for New Agency?

ballz187

I am currently in the process of taking my classes to get licensed and am doing research on who I would be interested in partnering with. I have 4 income tax offices in 3 states (NY, NJ and CA) one of which is across the street from a DMV. I want to begin offering home/auto to my clients (about 10,000) immediately after tax season utilizing my existing staff. Also I need access to the best commercial lines so I can write the business for all of my personal and professional contacts (about 200 business owners and property owners). I made one phone call just to test the waters and can get BOR changed on 2 commercial properties in TX immediately (apartment complex and hotel once I get licensed, i have their existing policy in my inbox) that are on Travelers. I have been reading here and searching all over the web for wholesalers or aggregators that I can sign up with to write The Hartford, Travelers for businesses and also Need a variety for auto/home (progressive, narragaset bay etc).

I contacted some networks and there seems to be synergy for certain regions. I am looking for somewhere I can write businesses and personal in NY,NJ, TX and CA. Everyone I contact is either west coast or east coast.

It seems the ones I like the best want me to have an existing book of business or 3 years experience. What would you guys recommend for someone in my position, who should I reach out to to be able to hit the ground running?

If you want to contact me directly you can PM me here

Thanks

Baldeep Chawla

Hi Baldeep,

On paper this is a great idea... Tax season is very busy and short then you have the rest of the year off practically. Just don't underestimate the job we do on a daily basis. I could never imagine doing your job to the best level of practice.
I would recommend getting a season broker on your team part time. The state test don't really teach you how to read policies/forums or what coverages are best to have and when.

However you can quickly learn it but its not going to be from the state test. I highly recommend a professional certification. The material they go over is everything and more you will need to eliminate a E&O claim. Look into a Certified Insurance Counselor CIC. They have 5 week online courses available now.

Lastly I would recommend Professional Insurance Associates as your aggregator. They are lic. in 38 states. I have wrote business with them ini CA, NY and TX.. I can't think of a NJ policy off the top of my head but check with them I am sure they are lic in that state.
Cheers,

Hi Baldeep,

On paper this is a great idea... Tax season is very busy and short then you have the rest of the year off practically. Just don't underestimate the job we do on a daily basis. I could never imagine doing your job to the best level of practice.
I would recommend getting a season broker on your team part time. The state test don't really teach you how to read policies/forums or what coverages are best to have and when.

However you can quickly learn it but its not going to be from the state test. I highly recommend a professional certification. The material they go over is everything and more you will need to eliminate a E&O claim. Look into a Certified Insurance Counselor CIC. They have 5 week online courses available now.

Lastly I would recommend Professional Insurance Associates as your aggregator. They are lic. in 38 states. I have wrote business with them ini CA, NY and TX.. I can't think of a NJ policy off the top of my head but check with them I am sure they are lic in that state.
Cheers,

Thanks for the input, I have a seasoned broker I can lean on to help me he has 30 years experience I can pay him commission on deals he walks me through. Also I do not underestimate the work at all, the good thing is with my tax season I am not involved in the day to day at all. I can cross train my staff on the simple auto/home which will be the walk in traffic to the offices while I can focus on just building commercial business was the idea.

Thanks I will look into Professional Insurance Associates

Those states are tough on personal lines business NY and NJ you'll spend a lot of time quoting just to find out you're losing to every GEICO and NJ Manufactures policy you come across. TX and CA I don't know much about but I hear a lot issues with property coverage in those states.

BORing those big account sound like a great idea but are you prepared to service those accounts with little insurance experience? Certificates, endorsements, etc?

It's doable especially with an existing customer base but there's a big learning curve in insurance so the more practice and education you get before you dive head in, the easier it will be.

Are you ready to lose these clients on your tax side due to a dispute on a tiny claim?

People will walk away from your tax business because of claim issues.

Are you ready to lose these clients on your tax side due to a dispute on a tiny claim?

People will walk away from your tax business because of claim issues.

That is not a concern as there is a retention rate I am comfortable with and always driving new business every year. The other side is the new insurance business can also be tax clients.

Latest posts

Back