Ordering My Own Paramedical. Port-A-Medic, Exam One or APS

It depends. They are about like career shops, none of the companies are bad, but your experience with the local office is what matters.

Try one and see how it goes, if it is good, stick with them. If it is bad, try the next one.

The only thing I will say, I didn't like having to go online with Portamedic to create an account. So I started using EMSI. I call the nurse directly to order all my exams and it has gone very well for me. Also, since I use them and her exclusively, they will go out of their way for me when I need it.

Check to see if there are any local shops. I have a local shop about 3 miles down the road from me that I just call to schedule anything statewide. If they don't service the area, they schedule it for me. Tons more convenient than using the online form services, and less mistakes.

Last paramed I scheduled using a form online they removed all the requirements other than the APS and forwarded it to the nurse, without the paramed, blood, urine, ekg requirements on the form. She showed up to run test on the spouse with no forms for the other person. I had to dig them up and fax them. (Luckily they had a fax machine)

I use Exam One and APPS. The main reason I added APPS was because the Exam One office in Vermont sucks--unfortunately the APPS one isn't much better.

I like Exam One's ordering online much better than APPS. I do a lot of business out of state, and have been in the habit of ordering exams online for a while now.

It depends. They are about like career shops, none of the companies are bad, but your experience with the local office is what matters.

Try one and see how it goes, if it is good, stick with them. If it is bad, try the next one.

The only thing I will say, I didn't like having to go online with Portamedic to create an account. So I started using EMSI. I call the nurse directly to order all my exams and it has gone very well for me. Also, since I use them and her exclusively, they will go out of their way for me when I need it.

I have found, at least in my area, most of the services use the same set of nurses. The nurses are simply independent contractors. Tracking down APS requirements is where they can vary to some degree. Pick one and try it.

I have found, at least in my area, most of the services use the same set of nurses. The nurses are simply independent contractors. Tracking down APS requirements is where they can vary to some degree. Pick one and try it.

I'm not sure of her status, but I think there are only two or three nurses. I know a lot of people use EMSI and her, so I am going to guess she is exclusive. Heck, the owners answer the phone half the time and know me by name. As I said, I'm very satisfied. Perhaps someone else can do it better, but I see no reason to find out right now.

That's kind of the way it works in Southern Vermont. They are all independent contractors, but they don't appear to share the pool. Instead they all kind of have their own go to independent. The PITA part is they won't schedule an exam over the phone, I have to order the exam and wait for the contractor/nurse to call the client. Once I got the number for one of the nurses and called myself to schedule an exam for a client. She acted pissy over my calling her :realmad:

Needless to say, no sitting with client and scheduling the appointment while taking the app :mad:

Last edited:
That's kind of the way it works in Southern Vermont. They are all independent contractors, but they don't appear to share the pool. Instead they all kind of have their own go to independent. The PITA part is they won't schedule an exam over the phone, I have to order the exam and wait for the contractor/nurse to call the client. Once I got the number for one of the nurses and called myself to schedule an exam for a client. She acted pissy over my calling her :realmad:

Needless to say, no sitting with client and scheduling the appointment while taking the app :mad:
You're kidding! I always set the time with the applicant and then I work it out with the paramed. None of the phone tag crap.

these are all good posts. I will look into the other companies you all mentioned. I ordered four paramedics through Portamedic today and they said their average turn around time was about a week..... we will see

Back