Ordinary Income or Capital Gains

Ordinary income. Trust me on that one. I sold my Allstate book in 2010 & was told it was Capital gains and filed accordingly. IRS say NO! ! ! I fought them for 3 years & finally had to pay them. Talk with your CPA but plan on the income route vs. CG . Good Luck !

" I was recently told it was Capital Gains " The IRS may have changed the rules on this but I would talk to your CPA on this one. I called the IRS before I filed my taxes on this & was told by one of their reps that the income would be treated as CG. I wrote the Reps. name, his badge number , date & time I talked with him, EVERYTHING down. I used his info when I filed & when the IRS said I filed it incorrrectly I gave them this info that told me that their reps were there to help however, their advice was not always correct & it was up to the taxpayer to verify & file accordingly. Iwould tell you again to talk to your tax professional.

Lightpost is giving you good advice. Just like you are a professional, so is your CPA/Tax Advisor. So if you ended up in the same situation, you would not have had to pay the IRS back out of your own pocket.

Latest posts

Back