Out of office vehicle changes

Mark savant

Many people buy cars over the weekend. At state farm there are a lot of vehicle changes made with our after hour staff.

At an independent agency, how do process vehicle changes or added vehicles when your not in office? For example Saturday at 8pm someone needs insurance to show the dealer and your out on a date.

Do they call the carrier directly and you follow up at a later time?

I am not a P&C agent however in my state your new vehicle is automatically covered the same as existing vehicle for like 3 days before you have to notify carrier...covers weekend changes.

Many auto policies provide 14 to 30 days automatic coverage for newly acquired vehicles.

However, if an auto buyer has to have evidence of insurance that day, many auto dealers have arrangements with insurance agents who are on call to come to the dealership evenings and weekends and write up policies so that the dealer gets the car sold.

When it comes to the carriers who do not offer after hours service,you must handle this yourself or the client may have to wait until Monday to pick up the car.

I have picked up clients over the years from car dealers by giving them my cell and taking care of them on weekends. Good news is most dealers around here close by 7 or 8 on Saturday and they are not allowed to sell cars on Sundays.

A few times the dealer has let them drive off the lot and wait till Monday for the new binder and id cards but most need the docs upfront to give to the finance companies.

Back