Outgoing Personality Needs Advice on Selling Insurance

Cjsutton87

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I am looking for some advice on my particular personality. I currently work for farmers insurance as a reserve agent. I have been getting a majority of my business through referrals, friends and my huge network. I am very outgoing, love to socialize and meet new people.

I am currently having a problem in starting my business because I feel that a lot of what farmers does is old fashioned and doesn't work as much in the new age. I am social media guru and love using it for business but feel that i could be making more as an independent broker.

My question exactly would be if an outgoing, young male with a big network be better as a captive or independent agent/broker?

Thanks.

We all have to start somewhere and doing it within the confines of a established system is a huge benefit. I don't sell P&C but I started in the Wirehouse brokerage system way back when for Dean Witter Reynolds. Being able to access training and at the very least watch others make mistakes will help you immensely. If you have access to a senior producer that will only benefit you. I know do some contract training and can tell you that when I come across Indies they are 9 times out of 10 struggling when with just a little bit of guidance they would be doing quite well. Use the opportunity you have been provided and your time will come.

We all have to start somewhere and doing it within the confines of a established system is a huge benefit. I don't sell P&C but I started in the Wirehouse brokerage system way back when for Dean Witter Reynolds. Being able to access training and at the very least watch others make mistakes will help you immensely. If you have access to a senior producer that will only benefit you. I know do some contract training and can tell you that when I come across Indies they are 9 times out of 10 struggling when with just a little bit of guidance they would be doing quite well. Use the opportunity you have been provided and your time will come.

No doubt this is good advice. While there is no doubt that INDY is a better long term route to take the question is do you know enough to be able to go INDY at this point in time. Usually 2-3 years experience makes the transition much more painless.

Every young kid is a social media "guru". Every 14-22 yr old on Facebook has 1000 friends or more. I hope this isn't what you consider as your huge network.

Anyway, it looks like you have the personality type to succeed but your warm market (those you know), will dry up soon enough and that is where the challenge begins.

Good luck!

Back