Over 1.5M Dwelling Case Possible E&O Claim?

iiinycboi

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hello everyone,

so i got a case where i am insuring over 1.7MM house. he asked me to remove everything but building and liability. nothing attached.

he used to have HO3 policy but he basically asked me to give him a DP1 for his mortgage satisfactions.

I've already explained the difference in coverage, but he insist on DP1.

Do you guys foresee an E&O claim here? How can i protect my tail.

First, have him sign the application outlining he is applying for that coverage. Note your file/management system that you advised him otherwise or have him sign a waiver you typed up and you're good.

A signed waiver can go a long way. "Your honor, I told him it was a bad idea and he signed this saying he took this against my recommendation."

on YOUR letterhead, you write up a waiver that he has to sign, and include the differences in the policies AND the yearly rates.

Then have him sign it, then I would also send a copy to the carrier, so its on their file and leave a couple copies in various places so you dont lose it! LOL

Have him sign it, get an ink thumbprint, and a vial of blood, because something definately seems hokey about it.

Whats the differences in rate, a couple hundred a year and with a virtual 2 million dollar house, he will fret over a couple hundred,

cover your ASS to the Hilt.........I foresee an arson investigation soon.......

On second thought, sometimes you have to say no to business, I mean, sure, great commission on this, but I seriously see that house being torched and completely ruining your loss ratio. Maybe write it thru a broker, where you dont have a direct code or bonuses.....

Last edited by a moderator:
on YOUR letterhead, you write up a waiver that he has to sign, and include the differences in the policies AND the yearly rates.

Then have him sign it, then I would also send a copy to the carrier, so its on their file and leave a couple copies in various places so you dont lose it! LOL

Have him sign it, get an ink thumbprint, and a vial of blood, because something definately seems hokey about it.

Whats the differences in rate, a couple hundred a year and with a virtual 2 million dollar house, he will fret over a couple hundred,

cover your ASS to the Hilt.........I foresee an arson investigation soon.......

On second thought, sometimes you have to say no to business, I mean, sure, great commission on this, but I seriously see that house being torched and completely ruining your loss ratio. Maybe write it thru a broker, where you dont have a direct code or bonuses.....

My first reaction was, arson?? but this is a pretty big HO account too. Also just a quick fact, that made it even weirder. This is outside of my local area. I'm in the metropolitan area and he called me from upstate about 3 hrs away.

I asked him if he was referred by someone or how did you find me, because i dont normally advertise or work that area, since im metropolitan based. He said oh he hangs out around my area all the time and saw my sign.

Also i subleased one of my tables in my office to a travel agent. and for some reason, when i asked him to fax me his dec page. it went to her fax machine, which i dont even know the number.

If he's three hours away, I'd pass that to someone that can look him in the eye. Just a thought.

What are you doing to keep attracting such situations?

It might be time to drop your ad in Arsonists and Money Launderers Quarterly.

Ask yourself, "Why?"
Then ask the prospect, "Why?"

Then show him that the HO-5 (forget HO-3) is probably cheaper than the DP-1 policy he wants, forget the fact that its named perils vs all perils.

Now, here is my likely guesses on some things...
He is in foreclosure, trying to get a loan mod, needs insurance as part of that.
Believes a DP-1 with less coverage is less money. Probably not.
He may not live in the house. He has it rented. DP-1 is a bad move for this, but hey, it can be cheap.
The house won't pass an inspection and he figures a DP-1 won't be inspected????
He doesn't understand that no carrier I know of won't inspect a risk of this size.

Cover yourself.
- The 'its the clients choice' letter is a good start.
- Have pictures of the home in your file. Above average chance of a claim, potentially for existing damage.
- Ask him upfront if he has any valuables he needs to have a floater on. Make sure you document his answer and have him sign this.

Dan

Back