Over-protective Kids

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
Probably the most frustating/annoying thing I ever come across in the field is the kids that are way over-protective of their parents, and these seniors that can't make a decision on their own and allow their kids to run their lives.

I just lost a deal because this lady has a son in Missouri, that used to sell Medicare supplements. (apparantly he dont anymore, now he works for some unnamed tax firm). And he wont let his mom make a decision about anything. He told her to only go with Plan F, G or N. i agreed that plan N would be a great choice for her. Even explained how with UHC, she could upgrade to a pland F, later GI, if she dont like plan N, or her health goes down hill. She loved the idea of it.

But every step of the way, she had to consult with her son. And he kept telling her not to do anything. (I never could get a legit reason why not.) I even asked to speak to him on the phone. He refused to talk to me, every time.

This poor lady is so stressed out, because her son has her so scared that "making the wrong decision could have dire consequences". Now, she is going to wait for her son, who lives half way across the country, to enroll her online in a plan.

Some people need to grow up, put their kids in their place.

Probably the most frustating/annoying thing I ever come across in the field is the kids that are way over-protective of their parents, and these seniors that can't make a decision on their own and allow their kids to run their lives.

I just lost a deal because this lady has a son in Missouri, that used to sell Medicare supplements. (apparantly he dont anymore, now he works for some unnamed tax firm). And he wont let his mom make a decision about anything. He told her to only go with Plan F, G or N. i agreed that plan N would be a great choice for her. Even explained how with UHC, she could upgrade to a pland F, later GI, if she dont like plan N, or her health goes down hill. She loved the idea of it.

But every step of the way, she had to consult with her son. And he kept telling her not to do anything. (I never could get a legit reason why not.) I even asked to speak to him on the phone. He refused to talk to me, every time.

This poor lady is so stressed out, because her son has her so scared that "making the wrong decision could have dire consequences". Now, she is going to wait for her son, who lives half way across the country, to enroll her online in a plan.

I've had a few like this, you've done about all you can do. If she'd give you his address, you could mail him some info. Other than that, give her your card and tell her if she decides to take care of her business to give you a call.

It's hard to compete with her son. Maybe you could suggest to her that the reason her son's not selling Med Supps anymore is because he wasn't very good at it, so she should listen to a real agent.

You obviously never had to help aging parents or grandparents.

One of two things are probably in play here. Her husband made ALL the decisions for her and after he passed, her son took over. Or she has really screwed something up, doesn't want to do it again and her son doesn't want to clean it up again.

Do you want YOUR grandparents making an insurance decision without you?

I've had a few like this, you've done about all you can do. If she'd give you his address, you could mail him some info. Other than that, give her your card and tell her if she decides to take care of her business to give you a call.

It's hard to compete with her son. Maybe you could suggest to her that the reason her son's not selling Med Supps anymore is because he wasn't very good at it, so she should listen to a real agent.

I had thought about that, but was afraid of insulting her. in retrospect, I probbly should have just said it. I lost the deal either way...

----------

One of two things are probably in play here. Her husband made ALL the decisions for her and after he passed, her son took over. Or she has really screwed something up, doesn't want to do it again and her son doesn't want to clean it up again.

65 isnt old by a long shot. at that age, she still has a good 30 years to live. and the majority of 65 year olds, are still pretty sharp. and by suggesting that they aint, I'm pretty sure you just offended at least half the people on this forum

That was my initial thought as well.

Wouldn't it be swell if logic sold?

Seems like you're frustrated with the prospect (and her son), but the problem is not the prospect, it's "incomplete" sales technique. When you asked her (upfront, before you waste your time) about whether she needs to consult with anyone to make a decision, what did she say? When you figure out that you can't get with the REAL decision-maker, do you waste your time with "wish and hope", or move on to a better prospect?
If she'd give you his address, you could mail him some info.
Waste of a stamp...and paper.
Maybe you could suggest to her that the reason her son's not selling Med Supps anymore is because he wasn't very good at it, so she should listen to a real agent.
Brilliant, just brilliant. This will go over like a fart in church. Attacking the prospect's child and being confrontational will surely win you the case?

65 isnt old by a long shot. at that age, she still has a good 30 years to live. and the majority of 65 year olds, are still pretty sharp. and by suggesting that they aint, I'm pretty sure you just offended at least half the people on this forum

I agree with you. Yet California insurance regulators think that every person aged 65 or over need a "special notice" before you meet with them at their home that states:

1. I am a licensed insurance agent. My purpose for coming to your home is to sell, discuss and/or deliver one of the following (indicate all that apply):
(___) Life insurance, including annuities
(___) Other insurance products (specify)

2. You have the right to have other persons present at the meeting, including family members, financial advisors or attorneys.

3. You have the right to end the meeting at any time.

4. You have the right to contact the California Department of Insurance for information, or to file a complaint.
California Department of Insurance Consumer Assistance telephone numbers:
• 800-927-HELP (4357) — for people calling from within California
• 213-897-8921 — for people calling from outside California
• 800-482-4833 for TDD — Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf

5. The following individuals will be coming to your home (list all attendees and insurance license information, if applicable):

It's so stupid, especially point #2 - as though they can't make a decision without the help of family members or whoever else.

You never said her age. She could have been 80.

Its a generational thing. Women turning 65 and older typically have had men helping them. This will change in the next few years, as the first generation of women who were in the workplace turn 65. I'm starting to see them now. And you can damn sure believe that I ask ahead of time if anyone else needs to be part of the process. And there are lot of times I am dealing with their sons, if they are widows.

Moonlight is right. Especially with the ladies. "Is there anyone else who is making the decision with you?"

I actually WOULD drop her a note. "I enjoyed meeting you and if you need anything in the future, please let me know". You still won't get her business. But when her friends start talking about Medicare, here's how it goes at the card table: "This nice young man was SO helpful. My son wanted to take care of it, but I would call him."

Lesson learned. Pre Qualify the appts with single women on Med Supps. Move on.

Back