Overcoming Door Knocking and Setting Appointments Rejections

noah808us

Expert
Hawaii
I went door knocking and tried to set some appointments the other day. The three most common objections I get are

1. "Oh, I just wanted some quotes"

2. "I don't remember sending this in" / "I didn't send this in"

3. " I already have insurance and don't need any more"

Any advice on how to overcome these objections and turn them into a sale?

I went door knocking and tried to set some appointments the other day. The three most common objections I get are 1. "Oh, I just wanted some quotes" 2. "I don't remember sending this in" / "I didn't send this in" 3. " I already have insurance and don't need any more" Any advice on how to overcome these objections and turn them into a sale?

1. Great that's why I'm here. Where can we sit down?

2. Here's the card you filled out (show them the card). I'm just here to give you the information you're eligible to receive. Where can we sit down?

3. Ok...? I'm just here to give you the information you're eligible to receive. Where can we sit down?

I went door knocking and tried to set some appointments the other day. The three most common objections I get are

1. "Oh, I just wanted some quotes"

2. "I don't remember sending this in" / "I didn't send this in"

3. " I already have insurance and don't need any more"

Any advice on how to overcome these objections and turn them into a sale?

Great stuff fromm HoosierLife no doubt. When are you door knocking? Any weekends or are you doing a Mon-Thursday People tend to be in a better mood when the weather's nice but sometimes don't want to be bothered Fri-Sunday. What's been your experience? All the best of luck to you!

Hoosierlife gave some great objection answers but the fact is, door knocking may not be the best use of your time. I understand that it gets you in front of people but so many things come into play. Weather; right now on July 31 you run the risk of showing up looking like a drowned rat all sweaty and nasty. Not very professional. Image; you are perceived as one of those door knocking evangelists. You are already starting off with a perceived negative.
Prospecting is hard which is why commissions are so good. I used to do door to door for group health and it was ok at best. Mail, phone and before it was made illegal, I did VERY well with a single page fax campaign.
You should be contacting your book twice a year to defend your book and to hit them up for referrals.
Join a non exclusive networking group or get together with a few other professionals and start your own leads group where YOU are the insurance guy.
I know I wandered off the original topic, I apologize but after 23 years of selling insurance, I never felt that door to door canvassing was an effective use of time.

I'm going to disagree with RWKAgency, but hopefully in an agreeable way.

First, by reading the OP, it looks like noah808us is door-knocking ONLY on those who had sent in a request to be contacted, not canvassing every door.

Second, HOW you door-knock and introduce yourself if and when you DO canvass door-to-door makes all the difference in the world. Very few people can do it well.

Remember: Edward Jones teaches all of their financial advisors to canvass neighborhoods and collect 25 names, addresses, and phone numbers each DAY that allow for future contact.

As for "looking like a drowned rat"... well, dress appropriately and carry a soft small towel, and you'll (generally) be okay.

Telling someone that they should be "contacting your book twice a year" instead of canvassing shows a lack of understanding of the stage of the (current) business one is in. If you have 10 clients, you can't just rely on such tactics. You need to reach out into the community and do more.

Lead groups are great for LONG-TERM results... because you have to teach OTHER PEOPLE how to sell you for you.

Here's the deal: If you can communicate well with people who have a passing need for what you do, and are willing to spend a short amount of time to do it... it's a lot easier and more effective than doing cold-calling.

Plus, canvassing gives you the real chance of clustering all your calls in the same local geographical area. Much better for time management... instead of driving all over the county or state.

Hey, if you cold-call... you 'risk being perceived' as one of those pesky solar-panel sales companies. You risk your perception EVERY TIME you try to reach out and connect with someone.

What do you do to get the person to listen to you? You immediately state something like this:
- "Hi, I'm DHK and I promise I'm not trying to sell you anything right now or asking you for any money, I hope that's okay?"
- "Hi, I'm DHK and I promise I'm not out trying to change your religion and I'm not running for office, I hope that's okay?"

After each of those statements, their next thought should be "... well, what DO you want?" Ask for a quick minute to explain and then they can decide.

The difference is how professional YOU are so you can CHANGE their perceptions about you... not about matching perceptions with most of the idiots that come to my door.

I've had solar panel sales reps come to my door... and I've ALREADY GOT solar panels!!! How dumb can they be to not check for the obvious clue and need on top of the freakin' roof before knocking on the door?

As far as the objection "I already have insurance and don't need anymore"...

"That's great! If I may ask... how much insurance do you have?"

"And if something happened to you, how long would that insurance last your family?"

"And then what would they do?"

"Is that what you want to have happen?"

http://www.insuranceproshop.com/blog/what-do-the-top-life-producers-know-that-you-dont-3/

First, by reading the OP, it looks like noah808us is door-knocking ONLY on those who had sent in a request to be contacted, not canvassing every door.

Second, HOW you door-knock and introduce yourself if and when you DO canvass door-to-door makes all the difference in the world. Very few people can do it well.

Remember: Edward Jones teaches all of their financial advisors to canvass neighborhoods and collect 25 names, addresses, and phone numbers each DAY that allow for future contact.

As for "looking like a drowned rat"... well, dress appropriately and carry a soft small towel, and you'll (generally) be okay.

Telling someone that they should be "contacting your book twice a year" instead of canvassing shows a lack of understanding of the stage of the (current) business one is in. If you have 10 clients, you can't just rely on such tactics. You need to reach out into the community and do more.

Lead groups are great for LONG-TERM results... because you have to teach OTHER PEOPLE how to sell you for you.

Here's the deal: If you can communicate well with people who have a passing need for what you do, and are willing to spend a short amount of time to do it... it's a lot easier and more effective than doing cold-calling.

Plus, canvassing gives you the real chance of clustering all your calls in the same local geographical area. Much better for time management... instead of driving all over the county or state.

Hey, if you cold-call... you 'risk being perceived' as one of those pesky solar-panel sales companies. You risk your perception EVERY TIME you try to reach out and connect with someone.

What do you do to get the person to listen to you? You immediately state something like this:
- "Hi, I'm DHK and I promise I'm not trying to sell you anything right now or asking you for any money, I hope that's okay?"
- "Hi, I'm DHK and I promise I'm not out trying to change your religion and I'm not running for office, I hope that's okay?"

After each of those statements, their next thought should be "... well, what DO you want?" Ask for a quick minute to explain and then they can decide.

The difference is how professional YOU are so you can CHANGE their perceptions about you... not about matching perceptions with most of the idiots that come to my door.

I've had solar panel sales reps come to my door... and I've ALREADY GOT solar panels!!! How dumb can they be to not check for the obvious clue and need on top of the freakin' roof before knocking on the door?

"And if something happened to you, how long would that insurance last your family?"

http://www.insuranceproshop.com/blog/what-do-the-top-life-producers-know-that-you-dont-3/

Well, let's see if I can respectfully disagree with you without being disagreeable.. :) . Would never open by telling them i am not here to "sell you anything" even qualifying it with the "right now" because I am there with the hope of selling them something and "right now" if at all possible. Might work for you , just not for me. The religion thing might be OK and generate a smile, especially if you are in an area that is worked heavily by the JWs or Mormons.

Most of the rest of you suggestions are good. As to the "I already have insurance." I normally respond, 'that's great. Most of the people I work with already have insurance. It shows you are responsible and love your family and those are the people I like to do business with. Unfortunately, most people have not reviewed their coverage for some time to make sure it is up to date and you know insurance is kind of like cars.. new models and changes are being made all the time. What type of insurance do you have? (continue with questions about their coverage, etc. until you either get in or set an appointment.).. Know one agent that frames the question, "Do you have the new type of insurance or the old type"

Agreed.

I know that with FE sales, the goal IS to sell them something "right now", so I totally see and understand your point. For me, that's not my objective, so it can work for me.

Having been a Mormon missionary, and some sales people may choose to wear white shirts and ties, I thought it would be humorous. :)

The idea is to just break up the normal pattern of most salespeople's 'verbal diarrhea' that they spew on people and give people a chance to actually LISTEN to what we're offering so they can 'know what they're saying no to'.

Just adjust for your own selling style, if it fits.

I hear ya, DHK but again it is time management. Edward Jones tells you to canvas neighborhoods to get 25 names a day. I do the same thing, get the same quality of leads and find people with a need without either giving up a credit card or leaving my office. Technology is where it is at. Learning how to find and use the free information available to you is where it's at. This may be mean to say but sweating your ass off in July walking around neighborhoods is for rookies who don't plan to be in the game very long. Back in the early 90's I did the same things. I canvassed neighborhoods, asked people "Would you like to think about it insured...or uninsured?" and it wasn't until I found both technology and group business that I found traction. Knocking on doors was tedious, mentally draining and a time vacuum (just sucks it up).
If you have a business reply card and are going to follow up on the lead do it but for Gods sake be smart about your follow up efforts in the neighborhood. There are ways to get all of the names of every neighbor to that guy within 2 square miles. Use it, it saves time and addressing people personally is far greater than "Hey, I'm knocking on your door but I'm not trying to sell you anything or take your money".
Not a single agent in my FMO knocks on doors and they all do well. We do mostly medicare with some FE and two of my agents have a nice little LTC thing going. Technology and information is where it's at. Use your technology and get a mindset of "I do not walk out of my office door for less than $75 an hour".

I'm going to disagree with you (again).

It's not about time management. It's about the most effective way to connect with people to introduce yourself about who you are and what you do.

You cannot have 'efficient relationships'. You can only have effective ones.

For me, it's easier to make a favorable introduction and forge a connection in person than it is to do so over the phone. This saves time and makes a better impact - depending on how one dresses and how they are perceived.

I am articulate, well-dressed, and well-groomed... so I believe I make a favorable impression.

Now, if you have a never-ending supply of truly pre-qualified leads... then it's ALL about time management.

But until (or if) you get to that point, it's about connecting with other people who have never heard of you or what you do. However we go about creating connections with people has to have this as the root of your motives.

Effectiveness trumps efficiency in this endeavor.

However, as a caveat... if you're focusing on product/policy sales, then it's probably ALL about time management... while I am focusing on a 'planning' context.

So it is very possible that we're both right - depending on our objectives.

Back