Overcoming The..."I Went with a Local Broker"

jmarkk1

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've noticed that the senior market seems to be focused, at times, with going with the "local broker."

What are some good ways to overcome this? I don't see anything that is particularly valuable with a local broker unless you want to be able to walk in to their office during business hours.

I don't see anything particularly valuable going with a broker in a different state. Have never understood why someone would buy from an agent located more then 50 miles away.

Met a lady yesterday who had gotten paperwork in the mail and they had filled out the application already over the phone. After sitting at her kitchen table and visiting with her it came up that one of the health questions she had answered no on the phone with an agent in another state should have been answered yes. If we would have not have caught this it could have caused major problems down the road if she had further problems with her current condition.

i consider local to be the state i live in... i love it when i am competing with a "foreigner" and i damn sure make it known to the client that this guy has sneaked across the border to hammer our good texans then he will sneak back and spend his commission in their state giving precious sales tax dollars to his home...

in short, i hammer hammer hammer the fact that a carpetbagger is poaching our good people....

taterpeeler, love your comment about the "foreigner" sneaking in, and I will use it guaranteed. Thank you, however are you placing all your business with Texas domiciled companies? I can see where if I were on my toes, I could tun that sword around.

I've noticed that the senior market seems to be focused, at times, with going with the "local broker."

What are some good ways to overcome this? I don't see anything that is particularly valuable with a local broker unless you want to be able to walk in to their office during business hours.

By the way you present yourself, your degree of confidence, expertise and the relaxed manner in which you speak to them. Proving to them that you are as close as the nearest phone. Assuring them they can call you literally anytime of the day or night including weekends. I have a toll-free number and I even give them my cell phone number. (My senior clients very rarely call me.)

I very seldom encounter this situation. There is no advantage for them to have a local agent/broker.

nope.... having texas domiciled companies dosent mean squat to me.... i speak texan and most want someone they think are their neighbors...... kinda strange that i can make someone 800 miles away(el paso, rio valley and so forth) feel im local.

i only do well dealing with "my people" or "my kind".... it's a mindset really.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
By the way you present yourself, your degree of confidence, expertise and the relaxed manner in which you speak to them. Proving to them that you are as close as the nearest phone. Assuring them they can call you literally anytime of the day or night including weekends. I have a toll-free number and I even give them my cell phone number. (My senior clients very rarely call me.)

I very seldom encounter this situation. There is no advantage for them to have a local agent/broker.

stay out of my state goat man... lol

Last edited:
No advantage at all to having a local agent. Seniors love calling and trying to do business over the phone. They don't like it when they get a letter they are confused about and i show up at their house within the hour to help them comprehend it and let them know if we need to call someone or just sign it and send it back.

They really hate it when they are changing bank accounts and I am there the same day to get a new voided check and fax it in for them. Most love to spend money on postage sending it to their agent in another state, if they can still find their address or phone number to call them to get their address.

No advantage to a "local" agent.

Doesn't make sense to lump every senior in the same category.

Senior #1 (probably like your clients) places an importance on the things you mention. Maybe they "find" their agent in the phone book, local advertising, referrals, word of mouth etc. Works for them - and you.

Senior #2 doesn't want a "salesman" coming to their house (or even calling them any more than is necessary). They want to shop/compare online, get a few questions answered, and sign up as quick/painless as possible.

The seniors may be the same age but that is where the similarities end. Each of these "sub-markets" in the senior market needs an agent to service it.

No advantage at all to having a local agent. Seniors love calling and trying to do business over the phone. They don't like it when they get a letter they are confused about and i show up at their house within the hour to help them comprehend it and let them know if we need to call someone or just sign it and send it back.

They really hate it when they are changing bank accounts and I am there the same day to get a new voided check and fax it in for them. Most love to spend money on postage sending it to their agent in another state, if they can still find their address or phone number to call them to get their address.

No advantage to a "local" agent.

Back