Overseas Medicine, Brazil and Thialand

James

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have several friends that are planning on going overseas for procedures that their medical coverage does not cover. As I look more into this it seems as though these services are really coming to age, esp. with several one in Brazil and the other in Thialand is offering follow up visit clinics here in the US. I'm just wondering if this is really coming into being a force to be dealt with esp in cosmetic and overweight issues that most Insurance will not pay for. Also if our Insurance Carriers will start offering to pay for oversea medical procedure as a way to cut cost?

I love the idea of going overseas for operations. I am currently looking to tie a vacation/lasik surgery procedure into one trip. The greatest concern I have thus far is the credentials of the facility, doctors, etc. as well as how follow-up is conducted.

When I lived in NM I actually knew doctors and dentists that split thier time between the US and Mexico. Alot of people drove across the border to see the same doctor and get the same procedure as they did in the US. This was VERY popular with dentists. One of the ones I went to even had big screen tv's with satelite so that your ride could watch tv while they waited. My husband joked that this would be the way to watch the superbowl in peace!

SOME carriers are beginning to offer coverage for SOME overseas medical work. BX of SC is one that I read about recently. This is mostly available in large groups, especially those who are self funded.

I don't see this becoming anything major. Too much risk to the carrier.

Back