Ow Long Are Accident Surcharges Added?

TMC3

We have allegedly had a rough year, My wife was pushed off the hw in a torrential rain storm by a semi early this year and struck the guard rail totaling her SUV. It was treated "at fault" by AllState because she did not get the plate of the truck. Then 2 months ago I allegedly had a bad medication interaction and passed out behind the wheel going around a corner and drove into a delivery truck totaling my truck and sending me to the ER and wound up needing surgery for a broken clavicle then the day I was brought home from surgery my wife's new car was stolen from our driveway by a local car stealing ring. It was recovered but needs extensive repairs. Now we have been hit with surcharges but since this has never happened to me in 30 years of driving can anyone tell me how long the surcharges will last. Also I had hoped to shop my insurance in Florida to see if there was any way we could get a better rate than our new increased policy?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have allegedly had a rough year.

allegedly? .... I was about to ask Mrs. Kennedy how she liked her trip to Dallas.

all kidding aside, to answer your question about how long these incidents will affect your rate:

-the comprehensive claim will fall off after three years.

-as far as at fault accidents, some companies only go back three years, while others go as far back as five.... also some (not all) of the companies that go back five years on at faults will give you a break after three years, and only count it like it was a not at fault for the 4th and 5th year.

other things to keep in mind:

some companies rate both at fault accidents and comprehensive claims in terms of severity with categories of minor/major. other companies make no distinction between minor and major claims.......
for the companies that do make the minor/major distinction (which is based on a threshold dollar amount that varies with each company), all three of your claims will most likely fall in the major category. So the companies that make no distinction might give you a break over the ones that do.

as far as your second question about shopping around for a cheaper rate, you would definitely be the ideal candidate to shop around for a lower rate... you've obviously fallen out of your current carrier's appetite wheelhouse....

I would suggest getting a quote with no less than 20 carriers, which can be accomplished by calling three or four independent agents.

Back