Owning what you’re selling

Baseball7

Guru
1000 Post Club
I see this come up every so often. What are your thoughts about having a policy with one of the companies you tend to write.

Utilizing it on occasion for visual purposes, post closing, and just building on what you’re already doing.

I definitely carry the competitors mail order marketing material but I’m wondering if there would be some validity in showing someone after you close the sale

“look this is what you’ll be getting in the mail in a few weeks!”

Thoughts?

I see this come up every so often. What are your thoughts about having a policy with one of the companies you tend to write.

Utilizing it on occasion for visual purposes, post closing, and just building on what you’re already doing.

I definitely carry the competitors mail order marketing material but I’m wondering if there would be some validity in showing someone after you close the sale

“look this is what you’ll be getting in the mail in a few weeks!”

Thoughts?
It's hard to know how one might respond when they are not actually in the situation, but this is what I think:

If I am going to spend my social security money on some of that fancy 'surance so's Ma or my kids can put me in the ground, I know I'm going to get some kind of fancy piece of paper in the mail. It doesn't matter too much to me whether or not it has green ink or black ink or whether or not it has gold edges, because I'm not going to understand it anyway. I'll be saying "Ma, if I go before you do, you can find my 'surance paper under my socks in the dresser.

The big deal for me is: Can I trust you? Don't know how you do that, but I'm thinkin' that a rich young insurance agent showing me he owns a policy like I'm trying to buy on Social security might almost be talking down to me.

I am not sure if that is a valid thought or not, just throwing it out.
LD

Last edited:
Trust is a big thing but there are some tangible/visual people you will see that I think this might create a small amount of value add.

I have policies on my parents with two different companies that are no longer in FE. I have policies on my wife and kids with companies that I rarely write. And a couple in me.

I point out to my clients that this is exactly what I did for my family and explain. I have never seens a policy to a client to build trust tho.

Who cares what I own or do not own? Am I the one who sent the card in or agreed to the appointment?:no: It's like if I was selling houses and the prospect asked me if I liked the house I was showing them? It's irrelevant as what matters is whether they they like it because they will be the ones living there, not me.:idea:

its a really good idea... I have a lot of agents that have example policies from the carriers but i like this idea even better!

i think depending on your age you should either have one on yourself or your parents if it is one of your go-to carriers... i think the expression "if i put my mother with this company i can ensure you its the best carrier out there" would hold some water.

Sometimes I have clients ask me if I have my insurance with the company I'm recommending. It so happens that I do have a policy with my primary carrier. But I bought it because I like the company and the policy design, not for making a point to my clients. They don't actually offer that policy anymore, and it's a much larger face amount than your typical FE policy. Most of my clients wouldn't be able to afford that policy. So, I'm not showing them my policy.

But if they ask me that question, I just say "yes, I do". It does seem to make them happy. But I've never had a problem placing someone with a different carrier if they ask the same question. Then my answer is, "no, I have mine with a different company, but I'm recommending this company for you because...."

On a side note, sometimes they ask me whether I have Term or Whole Life. That's usually because they've heard some stupidity from a Primerica agent or some such. They've been told that agents sell Whole Life because it gets them a bigger paycheck while hiding that Term is cheaper. I can truthfully answer "I have both, but for different reasons". I might elaborate about some of those reasons to point out the difference between term vs Whole Life, but they are my honest reasons, not just sales talk. Then I just move on to what their particular need is, and sell to that need.

Latest posts

Back