P&C Independent Agents/Brokers in California

CaliKid

Worked for an agency the past couple of years, I am now looking to become an Independent Insurance Agent in California and work for myself. I've been researching some companies to start my business as well as looking for books of business to purchase that have multiple appointments with carriers and no volume requirement. The companies I've found so far are TWFG, Bolt Access. I'm looking for other companies you would suggest as an Independent Agent, I'm not interested in being a Captive Agent.

Personal? Commercial?

California based? if so Id be pretty careful right now buying a book in the personal lines space at the present moment.

What is your target market?

I'm commercial only in California. It can be done, but this is definitely the worst time to get into the market that I have seen in my 10 years.

Personal? Commercial?

California based? if so Id be pretty careful right now buying a book in the personal lines space at the present moment.

What is your target market?

My target market is Personal Insurance in California, which I know as well is not as good as in the past with a lot of insurers nonrenewing homeowners policies.

Do you have any suggestions for personal lines brokers?
This is a pretty difficult question to try and answer in California right now. The personal lines market is so challenging.

What will be your area of focus in personal lines? Hard to place Auto? Affluent? Home/Auto/Umbrella Package? Flood?

Its really helpful to know this before you pick an MGA becuase you are going to want to know which insurers to pick up and all the MGAs have different insurers that they are partnered with. All of the MGAs are going to tell you that they have the market acccess that they need but....

From a general insurer perspective its helpful to have: Travelers, Safeco, Kemper, Prog, Mercury, Stillwater, and Guard, among others. [But this list will chnge tomorrow].

Plus you will want lots of DIC vendors: Such as Aegis, Stillwater, Foremost, Bamboo, Pac Spec to pair with the FAIR plan [which you need to get access to yourself].

But, this is all just the general version - many of these vendors might be useless in your zip codes. A few of those insurers might not like the types of roofs in your communities, etc.

Back