PA Health Insurance too expensive for Individuals purchasing themselves

Aiapa

Hello,
I am a Broker that has about 5% of my overall book of business in Health Insurance.
As open enrollment has begun I have had individuals and families come to me for quotes.
I have had 3 families (4 person families) get quotes that range from $1100 to $1500 per month for adequate coverage.
I am in Western PA where UPMC has the best rated, best coverage plans that I have proposed to them.
All 3 of these families are looking to get coverage through CHIP for the kids and the parents go uninsured.
I understand that is a risk taken on by the parents, but what am I supposed to tell them when I agree with them? They make too much to get an adequate subsidy on Healthcare.gov and not enough to pay $13,200+ per year for Health Insurance.
I guess I’m asking if anyone else is finding this?
And, how as an Insurance Professional can I be ok with telling them to go uninsured?
I’m very torn about this.
Thank you for your anticipated responses.

I advise individuals/families who are "too wealthy" for ObamaCare subsidies, but too poor to afford the obscene premiums, to either: 1.) Join a Health Sharing Ministry, or 2.) Buy a Short Term Health plan.

I dont know much about the Christian plans, but don't they not cover any pre exist no matter how minor? Is this true even for kids with let's say asthma or something else?

If they are considering going uninsured than they don't have pre-existing conditions that they're concerned about anyways so better to buy a short term than anything else versus going uninsured

they could be concerned about it but fam 4 making 95k combined which isn't much if you live in a big city can't afford 1500-2k month with 7k deductible. Horrible system

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses.
That gives me some ideas on where to direct people.
I don’t want to be political on here, but this Healthcare system is not good for a lot of people. It is hurting a lot of people financially. I hope it gets fixed by 2019.

Unfortunately, the new "uninsured" are those who make $1 more than 400% of the FPL.

Let's say you have family of 5 who get a subsidy of $1700/month. Making $1 more than 400% FPL for a family of 5, would cause one to lose the $1700/month is subsidies.
  1. Make $1 more than 400% FPL - pay back all your subsidy $20,400; sorry, but you are worse off for making that $1 to $20,399 dollars more...
  2. Make $20,400 more than 400% FPL - congrats for all that extra work, you just broke even!
  3. Make $20,401 more than 400% FPL - you are starting to get ahead!!
Not an lot of incentive to make more income, but a lot more incentive to make sure you make under 400% FPL.

Back