PA May Replace Agents with Retail Clerks

arnguy

Guru
5000 Post Club
Yikes! I received my weekly Legislative Review regarding news from the state Capitol. The House Insurance Committee meets tomorrow (5/23) to consider House Bill 2135 to permit retail clerks to sell insurance on portable electronics upon purchase. It is opposed by the PA Association of Health Underwriters, but the Insurance Department appear neutral.

Goodbye insurance agents if it passes muster!:mad:

I have only been in PA for about 18 months, and have learned that there are alot of idiots in power...If this passes, I'm moving to Ohio border, to avoid PA taxes.

I'm in California, but with the state of health care reform and how it's affecting our pocketbooks, I'm glad health insurance is only one leg of my business. Just wait until January, 2014 (unless the US Supreme Court comes to their senses).

:mad:

Last time I checked, clerks cost money, and the exchange must self fund which means fees to consumers or higher premiums due to fee to ins. company. Here is an interesting article from people who don't understand economics and govt headaches:

California PPACA Exchange Builders Post Focus Group Data | LifeHealthPro
Many uninsured California residents think buying health coverage through a new health insurance exchange, or Web-based insurance market, would be cheaper than buying coverage through a broker.

"In a Los Angeles group, one woman described her experience getting rate quotes on an insurance website, and then being contacted by phone immediately afterwards," Bye says. "The majority of the group viewed this
negatively, and indicated that they would prefer not to be contacted right away."

When asked about coverage affordability, the focus group participants said they might be able to afford $25 to $50 per month for individual coverage and $100 to $150 per month for family coverage.

It is opposed by the PA Association of Health Underwriters, but the Insurance Department appear neutral.

Goodbye insurance agents if it passes muster!:mad:

It's amazing that the Pennsylvania Insurance Department would be neutral. Don't they collect quite a bit of money each year in Agent licensing and education fees?
-ac

Otherwise they might have to drop HBO off their Direct TV contract...

You are so right on that. I can not count how many times I quoted some one a plan for $150 a month (health) and they email back for their iphone that it's too much for them. Yet they can afford an iphone and data plan? Other times they leave my office and drive off on a brand new vehicle...

Personal responsibility has been thrown out the window in this country...

You can always move to SLC if you live in PA

eHealth, Inc. Plans to Hire Qualified Medicare Sales Representatives SALT LAKE CITY, UT, May 24, 2012 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) --eHealth, Inc. is recruiting Medicare Sales Representatives for this year's Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) and will hold an open house to reach out to qualified candidates in the greater Salt Lake City area.

Back