Pacemaker Replacement

SouthernComfort

Guru
100+ Post Club
Met a man who had a pacemaker replacement last year. He has not had any heart issues in the past 10 years. It was just time to replace the pacemaker.

With New Era I don't see a question that is directly related to this, has anyone had experience with replacing a med supp when dealing with pacemaker replacement?

Just taking a guess...

Wouldn't that be a pending surgery? I know most pacemakers are replaced by an outpatient procedure, but still a pending surgery.

If the surgery was last year how is it still pending?

Doesn't sound like an issue to me. Submit and see.

Just look at your carrier's application, if it specifically ask about pacemakers placement and the time since, then apply that question to the facts with this client. Don't make simple hard.

And, if it doesn't ask, you tell him to not get chatty with the interviewer, pacemaker replacement is not heart surgery.

Met a man who had a pacemaker replacement last year. He has not had any heart issues in the past 10 years. It was just time to replace the pacemaker.

With New Era I don't see a question that is directly related to this, has anyone had experience with replacing a med supp when dealing with pacemaker replacement?

Been there. If he is taking medication for heart arithmia (however it is spelled). Or history of that issue I think that will be cause for adverse underwriting I would think

Thanks guys. He was taking blood pressure meds along with 10 units of insulin. I only found one app that would allow bp meds and insulin. They also treat the changing of the pacemaker as maintenance.

I ran in to this problem awhile back. The client had a pacemaker upgraded vs just having a new battery put in. Its the same type of procedure to change the battery vs a brand new pacemaker.

The underwriter said if he had just had battery replaced it would be fine, a new pacemaker they wanted 2 years. Of course I asked why and the underwriter said well we need to see 2 years to see if it works.

I asked the underwriter if she knew what a pacemaker was and if she was aware if it didn't work that the client would not be getting up off the operating table. Didn't matter, they still wanted 2 years on a new one.

Unfortunately I don't remember what company I called at the time.

Back