Paid Out Policy Limits Will Policy Provide Attorney

I was wondering if an auto policy sees defending a case is hopeless and pays out the policy limits, will they still provide an attorney for the insured?

I was wondering if an auto policy sees defending a case is hopeless and pays out the policy limits, will they still provide an attorney for the insured?

If this limits are paid out, what is there left for the ins company to defend???:swoon:

If this limits are paid out, what is there left for the ins company to defend???:swoon:

That is my concern , since of course there is not anything for the company to defend as far as they are concerned. The insured, however, could lose their home and other assets if the accident is serious enough.

So this is my question; will the insured insurance company provide a lawyer to defend the insured against a lawsuit beyond the policy limit?

It seems to me that I have seen where legal defense costs are in addition to the policy limits paid to the other party.

Last edited:
If the company has paid out the policy limits, they will no longer pay for a lawyer to defend you. This is why you should have higher limits.

And you've just given me an idea for the topic of my next insurance talk... :)

If the company has paid out the policy limits, they will no longer pay for a lawyer to defend you. This is why you should have higher limits.

And you've just given me an idea for the topic of my next insurance talk... :)
The situation concerns a family member who has not asked for my help.

I do believe that he would have 100/300/100 , and I have also used this situation to encourage other family members to get an umbrella.

FWIW, I have tried to get 300/500/300 and there would have been a lot of additional underwriting, which I did not want to go through. I couldn't even give them a good reason why I wanted the additional coverage. So please, share with us what you will give at your next "insurance talk."

It seems to me that my E & O policy for my health and life sales is where I got this notion. I have a million dollar limit with a high deductable. Maybe my policy language says that it would pay for my attorney fees even if I am under my deductable - not over my limit.

Please keep in mind that if I could tell you the circumstances involved here regarding my family member, you wouldn't be so inclined to respond harshly.

If I could , I would simply call the insurer and ask them - but I cannot.

Last edited:
The situation concerns a family member who has not asked for my help.

I do believe that he would have 100/300/100 , and I have also used this situation to encourage other family members to get an umbrella.

FWIW, I have tried to get 300/500/300 and there would have been a lot of additional underwriting, which I did not want to go through. I couldn't even give them a good reason why I wanted the additional coverage. So please, share with us what you will give at your next "insurance talk."

It seems to me that my E & O policy for my health and life sales is where I got this notion. I have a million dollar limit with a high deductable. Maybe my policy language says that it would pay for my attorney fees even if I am under my deductable - not over my limit.

Please keep in mind that if I could tell you the circumstances involved here regarding my family member, you wouldn't be so inclined to respond harshly.

If I could , I would simply call the insurer and ask them - but I cannot.

How was he harsh? That is just stating facts. Also, the E&O carrier has an interest in defending you even if the claim appears to be below the deductible. They want to make sure it stays below the deductible and doesn't become a claim that they have to pay on.

now I know You are FAKE,

There is ZERO additional U/W on an auto policy with changes in policy limits........ZERO

I was wondering about the "additional underwriting" as well. I've never heard of that for increasing auto limits. Things that make ya go hmmmm...

I was wondering about the "additional underwriting" as well. I've never heard of that for increasing auto limits. Things that make ya go hmmmm...

Well the only thing that I could think of is I actually have a few carriers that will not issue policies with coverage above 50/100 if the insured has a bad driving record. But I am going hmmm...as well! :)

Latest posts

Back