Paint scratches - what can I expect insurance to do?

Vance357

Recently the paint on my Jeep became heavily scratched on one side from a large dog jumping on the side of it while it was parked on private property. I suspect there was a cat or something on the roof the dog was trying to get to. There are deep scratches on the passenger side fender, front, and rear doors. I'm pretty sure they cannot be buffed out.

I have full comprehensive coverage, which should cover this damage. There is another scratch on the driver door from a different incident, I wasn't going to make a claim for just that, but if I make a claim for the rest I will include it. While I'm at it, the windshield has a crack also.

What should I expect the insurance company to do about this? The Jeep is a 1999 model, so the paint was not perfect before. It was in very good shape for it's age. If they tried to paint just the fender and doors, I do not believe it would be possible to make it match the original paint. The paint was in good condition, but certainly some fading has happened over the last 20 years and I'm sure the clear coat isn't as glossy as it used to be. Newly painted sections would stand out like a sore thumb.

Would it be unreasonable for me to expect a complete new paint job? I know this would be very expensive, and quite likely total the vehicle, with it's replacement value around $6-7,000. I can't imagine a good body shop doing a full paint job for less than that. But it also seems silly to total a vehicle over some scratches.

What condition are they required to put my vehicle back into? What do they do when there has been paint damage, if the paint wasn't perfect to begin with?

Please dont construe this as advice as I'm not an adjuster, nor as an agent do I make reference to what a company, or policy will do without reading the contract.

I will on a personal level chime in and tell you for me i wouldnt call in a claim for scratches on a car that old because it will very likely not be worth anything close to the damage amount... meaning, it wouldnt be worth the award in my loss history trophy case.

That said, best of luck, but if this were my vehicle I probably let it go without sweating the claim.

I'm not sure what your point is. They either owe me repair of the damage or actual cash value for the vehicle, likely whichever is lower. Do they not?

There are a lot more factors than just age. This is still a very popular vehicle. It was in much better than average condition. They are becoming collectible and in good condition have been selling for significantly above blue book value recently...

I need to be clear. I am not talking about "a" scratch. I am talking about the paint on one side being entirely ruined.

Popular... doesn't matter.
Selling for more than book value... still makes nary a difference.
Becoming collectible... so is a 72 Pinto... what's it worth?

What the Actusl Cash Value is, determined by the book, and what mood the adjuster happens to be in that day matter. Your opinion, although it matters to me because the situation really sucks, wont matter as much to your claims representative.

Your contract holds the key to the what they owe you part, and although many can guess what it will do, its your adjuster that will matter the most in interpreting it

You're missing my question entirely. That is, what can be reasonably expected from the insurance when something like this happens? How do they go about putting it back into pre-loss condition?

Actual cash value is determined by what actual vehicles in my area are selling for, and I can prove what I need to. Popular matters because it drives up the price. Big difference between a 1999 Ford Taurus and a Jeep. Only one holds it's value. It has nothing to do with book value. Not my first rodeo with the insurance adjusters...

My contract states that I have full comprehensive coverage, and therefore they are required to fix the scratches. The problem is they can't just be buffed out or touched up, you could never make it match the rest of the vehicle.

In all likelihood, each condition on the vehicle will be treated as a separate claim; even you stated that the scratch on the left is NOT from the incident which caused the scratch on the right. the cracked windshield is also NOT from a dog scratching your paint. So, you have 3 separate deductibles on a 20 year old car. If it is a Jeep Grand Cherokee, forget it and move on. If it is a Wrangler you would get the scratches repainted and the windshield replaced and be out 3X your deductible. Your insurance company is under NO obligation to repaint the entire vehicle and they could treat each door as a separate claim since you could not honestly say that they occurred at the same time. If you get caught stretching the truth the carrier can deny the claim altogether. Don't lie to the Claims adjuster. You also might be amazed at what can be buffed out by someone who knows what he is doing

Your insurance company is under NO obligation to repaint the entire vehicle and they could treat each door as a separate claim
You're still missing the point. One entire side has been ruined in one incident. The scratches cannot be repaired. If they painted just one side, how could they possibly make it match the other?

How many claims there may or may not be is not relevant to my question.

You're still missing the point. One entire side has been ruined in one incident. The scratches cannot be repaired. If they painted just one side, how could they possibly make it match the other?

How many claims there may or may not be is not relevant to my question.

Well, yeah, it is relevant.

The adjuster needs to determine... is this just a poorly maintained old Jeep that the insured believes is worth far more than a scratched up old Jeep is worth or a diamond in the rough that is super popular and is almost collectible. Why would I think this? Well, its all scratched up and has a cracked windshield. You have already inferred that they were from separate incidents, THEREFORE three claims, and therefore, it wasn't being maintained all that well to have the other two out of three things already be wrong with it. (See how 3 comp claims affect your rates). I hope you have a GREAT adjuster that gives you everything you're hoping for and more... but remember, you have a poorly maintained Jeep that is all scratched up and has a cracked window, or you have three separate claims, or you lie about them all happening at once.

As for matching paint... I've never understood "like kind and quality" to mean an exact match or we will paint the whole bloody thing. I'm sure they will get something close, they usually (depending on the shop you use) do an honorable job.

...but what do we know.

Your policy will repair or replace the damaged area. It is called blending in the paint business. If there is a scratch on the door, they don't paint the whole door, they paint the damaged and repaired area. Modern paint guns along with a talented painter can match anything. I am not missing your point. Your claim could also be denied depending on the wording within your policy. If the damage is not caused by a covered loss (XYZ insurance
will pay for direct and accidental loss to your insured
auto not caused by collision. Loss caused by missiles, falling
objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake,
windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or
vandalism, and riot or civil commotion is covered. Glass
breakage, whether or not caused by collision, and collision
with a bird or animal is covered.) You could be out of luck. Number of claims is most certainly relevant to the question. Let's look at a car with a $250 deductible. If the claim is filed as 3 different claims you are out of pocket 750.00 and they still are NOT going to paint the entire car. A windshield replacement costs about 250 from SAFELITE and you would have 500.00 to get a good bodyman to fix the scratches

therefore, it wasn't being maintained all that well to have the other two out of three things already be wrong with it.
There is no way you could possibly know that. This is a very well maintained vehicle with low mileage. For me to replace it in the open market would cost $6-7000. Scratches do not mean it hasn't been maintained, it only means there are comprehensive coverage claims to make. It is not scratched from lack of care or maintenance.

Even if I make 3 claims I'm out 300 bucks. Big deal. The paint is worth a LOT more than that, and the diminished value as it sits is much more than $300. I don't pay for comprehensive coverage just because I like spending extra money...I intend to use it.

Back