Paperwork for Independent Agents

lflashman

Expert
I'm used to carrying a bag, with all the forms I need, into a house when I meet with a client. Now that I went indy, I've got several companies, with several products each. They don't make a bag that big. How do you manage paperwork when going into a house? Just store it in the car and bring a notebook in initially? Mabee one app if you already know what you're going to sell? I cross-sell a lot. Do you just excuse yourself, and go back to the car to get the needed paperwork? I'm used to just pulling paperwork out and starting to write. An assumptive close. If they don't stop you they bought. Seems like that would be hard to do if the stuff is in the car. Or, do most people use a two call close aproach, and bring in neccessary apps on second appt? Not really used to that.

Re: Paperwork

I carry in what's already been pre-sold in the appointment-setting phone call. If I have to go out to the car to get something it ain't no big thing. Why would it be?

And I avoid 2-callers like the plague, when at all possible.

I agree Fisher, usually know ahead of time what I'm going there to write so, I just take what I need into the house.But I do keep everything else in the car and if I have to step out and grab it, it doesn't hinder anything.

I meet the people in the office, especially if it is the first meeting.

If they are an existing client and add on sales, then I already know what I am selling, and bring only that.

In any case, just because you are indy, doesnt mean it is best to have a little bit of business between 20 companies. I still stick to 2 to 3.

Re: Paperwork for Indpendent Agent

I usually know what I am going to write when I go into the house and that is what I carry in my briefcase. I keep an expanding file in my car with all of the other apps in it.

Re: Paperwork for Indpendent Agent

I bought 6 briefcases a couple years ago. One has med sups. One has med advantage. One has LTC. One has Annuity brochures. One has Critical Illness and disability. One has funeral Preneed. One has final expense. They are all in my hatchback lined up and tagged.
I go in the home with my notepad and have a conversation and fact-find. Once I know which case to grab, I go get it.
Saves me a LOT of driving back to the office or freezing my bee-hind off looking through a disorganized mess.
Works for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Make that 7 briefcases!

Last edited:
Back