Paramedic exams

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
What has happened to paramedic exam firms? Have they gone out of business? Resorted to using trainees? Are they only offering services when it is convenient to them and not the customer?

A few years ago I applied for life insurance. Don't recall the firm. The woman that came out was unimpressive and borderline incompetent. She had to poke both arms before tapping a vein.

FWIW I have good veins and medical personnel have never had trouble finding a vein.

The pain from jabbing was unexpected. Both arms were bruised. I asked how long she had been doing this kind of work. Only a few months. She said she used to be a manicurist.

For that exam the person came to my home at a time and day that was convenient to me.

Fast forward to today.

Applying for life insurance. Carrier wants a paramedic exam. The firm called me the day the app was submitted. I was told they only come out on Saturday.

Or I can come to their office, nearest one about 12 miles away, on Thursday afternoon only. The office is not convenient and it is near two schools plus several businesses with 3PM shift changes. More inconvenience.

Saturday (2/16) and 2/23 are not conducive to my schedule.

It appears they only want to work in between taking kids to soccer practice. Assuming I can schedule the exam, I wonder what kind of "medical" personnel will show up.

What happened to scheduling these exams for my convenience, not theirs?

I live in Atlanta, not out in the sticks. The firm was EMSI. I have asked the GA to contact the carrier and see if another paramedic firm is acceptable.

When I set up my dad with a life policy two years ago, the paramed girl came out to my dad's house and her boyfriend sat in her car the whole time.

My dad said she probably texted the guy in the car 20 times during the whole paramed appt.

Then, the boyfriend left his big McDonald's cup in my parent's driveway... opened the door...set his cup down, and they drove off.

Another reason to stick to med supp sales...

All I can tell you is to find an acceptable paramed exam company that WANTS the business.

You might want to check with your local NAIFA chapter and see who is sponsoring stuff for them. I know my NAIFA has at least one paramed exam firm as a sponsor. And if there isn't a sponsor, check with a NAIFA leader for a referral for who they use.

I've got someone in the forum's FB group who covers nearly all of southern California for paramed exams... so I know she's "hungry" for the business - within a reasonable time frame.

Unfortunately, the 3 large exam companies and the carriers have run the experienced examiners away.Every yr. when rates are negotiated exam companies sought to continue
to keep their preferred status by decreasing their rates.This resulted in decreasing rates to examiners.For instance in 1984 the going rate was $25.00 per exam today that is the same rate for some exam companies and even lower for others.So you never know what you will get these days. I still do life with medicals and can give the name of the direct examiner who contracts with Portamedic/Apps in Atlanta , Prime Services 404-346-9244 ([email protected]) they do quality exams never had an issue.The mobile exam services are going to continue to deteriorate as the competition drops off and you will be going into an office.This is the only way they will continue to provide services, or get the part-time examiner who works in between her kids school schedule or in between her other full-time job.

Unfortunately, the 3 large exam companies and the carriers have run the experienced examiners away.Every yr. when rates are negotiated exam companies sought to continue
to keep their preferred status by decreasing their rates.This resulted in decreasing rates to examiners.For instance in 1984 the going rate was $25.00 per exam today that is the same rate for some exam companies and even lower for others.So you never know what you will get these days. I still do life with medicals and can give the name of the direct examiner who contracts with Portamedic/Apps in Atlanta , Prime Services 404-346-9244 ([email protected]) they do quality exams never had an issue.The mobile exam services are going to continue to deteriorate as the competition drops off and you will be going into an office.This is the only way they will continue to provide services, or get the part-time examiner who works in between her kids school schedule or in between her other full-time job.

I would think you're joking, but I'm sure you're not. I can't see how it takes less than an hour to complete an exam between actual exam time and travel time. $25 would barely cut if it if was all going to the examiner, but we know the company is taking a cut and there are other expenses to be paid as well.

Taking this at face value, you really do get what you pay for.

Simply when you have low unemployment and you don't pay the workers, they go elsewhere. Expect jobs that don't pay well enough to slide in quality. The best people will migrate to jobs that pay them their worth.

@margostl thank you for the detailed response. I have passed the ATL contact on to my GA and see if they will be willing to use Portamedic.

That also explains why my last exam was done by someone who was not (IMO) qualified.

Pretty scary

When I set up my dad with a life policy two years ago, the paramed girl came out to my dad's house and her boyfriend sat in her car the whole time.

My dad said she probably texted the guy in the car 20 times during the whole paramed appt.

Then, the boyfriend left his big McDonald's cup in my parent's driveway... opened the door...set his cup down, and they drove off.

Another reason to stick to med supp sales...
Or, SI life, cancer, etc..

I use APPS, and they are great in my area. But yes, I have had issues before at times with some other companies and/or in other areas.
Thankfully, less and less am I having to rely on paramed exams. So many of the companies are doing ez underwriting...many of my fully uw clients aren't required to get an exam.

I wonder as more of the industry goes this way, if the service continues to decline. OR maybe it could actually improve because the paramed companies will be doing less which means they might charge more because they have to.

Back