Paramedical Exams

LG123

I am new to this board and have found wonderful information so far. I am a paramedical examiner trying to go direct. I am very interested in learning the agent’s perspective on the whole paramed process. I have experience with working with the "Big Four" companies. From what I have gathered here, they are not all that easy to work with.

I was wondering what opinions you might have about using a direct examiner as opposed to a company. Do you currently use directs and if so how does their service compare to experiences with one of the companies? How did you find your current direct examiners?

If you aren't using a direct examiner, why not? Are agents aware that they can use a direct examiner? How receptive would you be if an examiner contacted you to market themselves?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Take care.

Lori

I am new to this board and have found wonderful information so far. I am a paramedical examiner trying to go direct. I am very interested in learning the agent’s perspective on the whole paramed process. I have experience with working with the "Big Four" companies. From what I have gathered here, they are not all that easy to work with.

I was wondering what opinions you might have about using a direct examiner as opposed to a company. Do you currently use directs and if so how does their service compare to experiences with one of the companies? How did you find your current direct examiners?

If you aren't using a direct examiner, why not? Are agents aware that they can use a direct examiner? How receptive would you be if an examiner contacted you to market themselves?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Take care.

Lori

If they're better than the competition, I can't see why not.

Clients frequently tell me of awful paramed experiences--sometimes I swear that EMSI & Portamedic only hire people with an IQ south of 100.

Slush you would be correct, most of the more experienced examiners eventually leave due to the poor compensation. They are replaced with new examiners that may know how to collect specimens but have difficulty with interviewing for a medical exam. Not all that are left are in that category, I do'nt wish to generalize. I saw an ad the other day here in the ATL for examiners and I quote "CNAs," who routinely never perform venipunctures or collect medical data, "personal care techs" another nice word for CNAs and basically anyone with a pulse. Scary you bet. Can clien'ts tell the difference that would be yes.

If I have the option, i would rather work with the examiner directly than the big companies like Portamedic. I had some bad experiences with the big ones so I am trying to look for an alternative. It would be nice to actually meet and know the examiner going to your clients because the applicants tend to associate the quality of the exam with me as well.

Last edited:
I have an examiner in my neighborhood who did my exam. She found out I was an agent and gave me her card and said in most cases I could work directly with her. It worked out great until one of her independent examiners accidentally submitted a case to his other paramed company and they caught wind of their independent side jobs. They both got let go of their contract and was temporarily blackballed for a while. She still is working independently and contracted,though. I just found out AIG will not take any type of independent examiner. The paramed companies want to keep their share of the pie and will fight like hell to for it. I personally can't stand EMSI. Example one: client over age 50 needed blood work even though preliminary requirements did not ask for it. I told them I think it will be needed considering prior history. They said OK. Sure enough, Company asks for blood work. I call EMSI, they say client is scheduled for exam and they were in contact with company. Exam goes though without bloodwork. They say, no problem we'll order another exam. Client won't return calls, then says Just cancel it. Thanks EMSI. My friend needed paramed for a health policy I wrote. He wanted to schedule a morning exam, but the examiner said it had to be 6pm. The night of exam, examiner is no-show, doesn't return voicemails until 8pm and says she isn't available due to an emergency at the hospital. He hasn't eaten in 14 hrs and she then schedules him for the next morning at 8AM. Gee, I guess she did have some morning slots available after all. Thanks EMSI. Finally a current situation downstate. Client gets first call 2 weeks ago for a policy written 7weeks ago. EMSI can't schedule AM apointment again. She runs a daycare center and insists on an AM appointment. The first available AM is December 12 because client is leaving town for 10 days. Carrier may cancel app. This last one is partially my fault because I haven't been dilligent in chasing down the reason for the delay earlier, but it shows their lack of concern. If you can get an examiner to work directly with it is well worth it.

AIG may be in violation of the anti-trust laws. I hope that's not true. The larger paramedical companies can be ruthless but there is no way they can compete or offer the services Independents do in regards to effiency,fast turnarounds next day scheduling. Portamedic to their credit recognized this and opened Portamedic Direct for Independent Examiners. The others APPS,EMSI, and Exam One have not done so. It's just a matter of time as more Examiners go Independent.

The agents/agencies that I work with do see the difference between one of the Big 4 examiners compared to the professional exams that are completed either by me personally or one of our subcontactors. Not to mention once the order is placed the exam is completed as soon as the agent or the client is ready (could be the same day). If there are any agents in need of exams completed in the San Joaquin/Central Valley areas please contact me. I cover many areas as do my experienced subcontactors in many surrounding cities. [email protected]

Last edited:
I've worked with EMSI, Portaholics, and now with Exam One. I guess the reason we use one of the larger outlets is because of assistance nationwide and imaging services. Having immediate access to the parameds for our files helps our cases move along quickly and efficiently. Due to the scale, working with an independent(s) would be impossible. However, when I was just an independent guy myself, I would have favored a smaller outlet.

When I use Portamedic Direct the exams are put on their F.A.S.T (online scan imaging), so the agents are able to access their applicants paperwork as do Superior Mobile Medics. This is another billing source I use. Also if the Carrier authorizes exams to be available to agents, I will fax, email the exam that same day the exam is complete right to the agent. They will usually submit it with the application all together. I do understand that agents will need from time to time APS or Treadmills for their applicants and that is where the big 4 can be more of assistance. It's nice to have the option to choose who you want your exams to be completed by as long as you do not contract with the big 4. Their exclusive/semi-exclusive deals seem to be attractive but in the long run they have taken away your ability to choose other options once their newbies have bruised up your clients and not completed the blood draw. :err:

Back