Part B Active, No Part A - Supplement?

vertex

Expert
A potential client has part B in place but won't have part A until 7/1.

Would a supplemental company enroll him and just cover his part B expenditures or do all require part B and A be active?

Thanks.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap/whats-medigap.html

Basic CMS guidelines say one must have both Part A and Part B in place in order to purchase a Medigap policy.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-ch...health-plans/other-medicare-health-plans.html

This is not something I have read anything about so all I can do is offer the CMS link. If AZ has Cost plans, That might be an option for your situation.

I don't know whether Part A or Part B starts the clock running on Part D. If they are not already enrolled in Part D, you probably should check that out too to help them avoid significant Part D penalties.

Last edited:
A potential client has part B in place but won't have part A until 7/1.

Would a supplemental company enroll him and just cover his part B expenditures or do all require part B and A be active?

Thanks.

No.......................................................

Part D (Drug Plan) is available with either A or B, but both are required to purchase a Medicare Supplement. Part A benefits is where the "real" money usually comes in to play anyway.

Rather than just telling you that you're wrong, please explain that statement.

Rick

Just a wag on why Part A is where the "real" money is.

Hospital Indemnity.

Cancer insurance.

The part about the "real" money I assume ? What I meant is that Part A in- hospital claims are where the coverage pays off for the client, more so than a routine doctor visit. I'm sure there are exceptions to that theory, but as a rule clients can be disturbed about how little their supplement pays on an office visit. Coverage of the Part A deductible is of real value to them.

The part about the "real" money I assume ? What I meant is that Part A in- hospital claims are where the coverage pays off for the client, more so than a routine doctor visit. I'm sure there are exceptions to that theory, but as a rule clients can be disturbed about how little their supplement pays on an office visit. Coverage of the Part A deductible is of real value to them.

I understand what you're saying but you're still wrong. The Part A deductible is a small cost compared to the cost of being hospitalized.

Charges billed by the hospital are paid by Medicare other than the deductible. However cost of ER, surgeon, asst. surgeon, anesthesia, etc. is 20% of the allowable. That's where the real costs are. Not to mention chemo, rehab, radiation, etc.

If you're selling supplements I assume you are pointing this out to your clients and prospects. Otherwise they won't understand the "real value."

Rick

True-but they don't really know how to put that into perspective for a short stay, but they can fully comprehend 1318.00 for one day and 20% of services. 1318.00 is a real figure. It's all relative, all about peace of mind. That's what I offer.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back