Part B charges

csyjnapapa

Expert
Ohio
I have a friend turning 65 at the end of January. He will be covered under employer coverage until the, so Medicare will start 2/01/19. He will check his first Social Security check 3 week of March. He just received bill from Social Security for $405.50 due 12/25/2018. I can understand paying for k B for Feb and March, but January and only giving few days notice to pay?! Any ideas who to contact to correct?

I had the same issue but my client got her card saying 11/1/ part b but started plan on 12/1 and she just got a bill for $600+ . Nov-March .. so she has to pay for nov. part b , even tho her plan is not starting until 12/1? Is there any way she can skip nov. and just pay for the month December and on?

I had the same issue but my client got her card saying 11/1/ part b but started plan on 12/1 and she just got a bill for $600+ . Nov-March .. so she has to pay for nov. part b , even tho her plan is not starting until 12/1? Is there any way she can skip nov. and just pay for the month December and on?

There is a very important basic point in play here. It is discussed very well in another recent Part B thread.

The controlling factor in the Part B start date for someone applying for Part B during their IEP is the relationship between their birthday and the date of the Social Security Part B application. When an employee is retiring or when THEY (the employee) are planning on stopping participation in an employee group health plan has nothing to do with it.

So the date on your client's card is the government's correct date and she has to pay the premium. (if she had discussed the situation with you prior to turning in her paperwork, she might (or might not) have been able to have a different outcome.)

I've got some of the posters in this thread blocked so I can't read the complete thread right now, but I think this is the one I was referring to.

https://insurance-forums.com/commun...-wrong-part-b-start-date-question-help.96424/

This is just personal opinion, but based on posts I'm seeing here it looks like a lot of T65s go on autopilot and say I'm turning 65 and want to retire at the end of the calendar year because that's when my employer health insurance plan ends. After all the posts I've seen here, I think that's a poor judgement criterion and consultations with an informed ins. agent may give them better options in many cases and prevent some of the cases we see discussed in these threads.

edit-----
Note: I am not an ins. agent
end edit ---------

Last edited:
she has to pay for nov. part b , even tho her plan is not starting until 12/1?

Her Medigap/MA plan didn't start until 12/1. Correct?

No, she can't skip November.

turning 65 at the end of January. He will be covered under employer coverage until the, so Medicare will start 2/01/1

Medicare starts the first day of the month when he turns 65. Exception if the BD is the 1st day of the month.

Thank You all for the Help!

My question was answered.

So the Part B shows 11/1 and her plan is not started until 12/1 but she is still required to pay 11/1 regardless if her plan started 11/1 or 12,1.

Latest posts

Back