Part B Enrollment, how Do You Advise?

I've been getting a lot of people coming off of group who haven't enrolled in Part B. How do you help your clients enroll? How long does it take your method?
I figure it's go online or go to the local SS office. Just trying to figure out how you guys give great service via Part B enrollment guidance. Appreciate any wisdom!

I've been getting a lot of people coming off of group who haven't enrolled in Part B. How do you help your clients enroll? How long does it take your method?
I figure it's go online or go to the local SS office. Just trying to figure out how you guys give great service via Part B enrollment guidance. Appreciate any wisdom!

Are these people who are over 65 and already on Part A? If so, I explain they have to get their employer to complete a form for them. They will have to deliver this form to Social Security (preferably their local office) along with their Part B application. I encourage them to hand deliver it so that they know it is received.

You can get the Request for Employment Info form here:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS009718.html

And the Part B application here:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS017339.html

If they are turning 65, then I point them to ssa.gov and explain how to complete their Medicare Part A & B enrollment. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how computer savvy they are.

Lastly, if they have already applied for or are receiving social security, they will automatically be enrolled in Medicare.

Are these people who are over 65 and already on Part A? If so, I explain they have to get their employer to complete a form for them. They will have to deliver this form to Social Security (preferably their local office) along with their Part B application. I encourage them to hand deliver it so that they know it is received.

You can get the Request for Employment Info form here:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS009718.html

And the Part B application here:

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS017339.html

If they are turning 65, then I point them to ssa.gov and explain how to complete their Medicare Part A & B enrollment. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how computer savvy they are.

Lastly, if they have already applied for or are receiving social security, they will automatically be enrolled in Medicare.

Great post Sman, couple more questions:
If they go online when turning 65, do they print out cards, are they ordered, what is the amount of time from doing this until they can enroll in a Medicare plan?
Lastly, how long until they applied with SS do they get their Medicare cards or are effective to enroll?

Appreciate the info!

Great post Sman, couple more questions:
If they go online when turning 65, do they print out cards, are they ordered, what is the amount of time from doing this until they can enroll in a Medicare plan?
Lastly, how long until they applied with SS do they get their Medicare cards or are effective to enroll?

Appreciate the info!

No, they can't print off cards. If they are turning 65, technically you can do a Med Supp app even before they've applied for Medicare since the effective date of the Med Supp won't be until their Medicare start date. But I always want them to have at least applied for Medicare (this assumes they aren't receiving social security yet - no need to apply if they are already receiving social security).

Just to be clear, if a person is receiving social security prior to turning 65, they will receive their Medicare card in the mail about two months prior to their Medicare start date. They don't have to apply for Medicare. They have the option of accepting or declining coverage when their card arrives. If they are delaying social security, they will have to apply for Medicare. They can do this at the social security office or online. Doing it online is the easiest way in my opinion. It literally takes 5-10 minutes.

Now, how soon can they enroll in a MAPD or PDP after completing their Medicare enrollment application? I'd give it at least one week so it has time to get in the system. If you were to do it right away, there's a chance that Medicare would reject their MAPD or PDP enrollment as they wouldn't show them as being enrolled in Medicare yet.

Sman is totally right. My only thing to add is that when you apply for Part B, you get a letter from SSA before your cards. Typically takes 10 days and it has their Medicare Claim Number. Even if you already have it (because they have Part A or you can figure out the letter scheme), I always wait on the app until they get the letter. Mainly because I've been burned and if all the starts are aligned AND the crossover is done before the Part B enrollment is completed, it takes 6 months to get it straightened out. Save yourself the hassle.

Back