Part B Penalty Turning 65

insurance5511

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
ga
Hi Guys,

I have a client t65 still working but has obamacare with his wife (shes 59). He was told he can continue on his current plan, not enroll in medicare and still not pay the penalty? But when I looked it up I read that his coverage has to be with an employer... will he still get the penalty or no? does he have to get his social security now?

Is this correct? thank you

correct, she is on marketplace plan now with him...I even called social security office and they have no clue

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have a client t65 still working but has obamacare with his wife (shes 59). He was told he can continue on his current plan, not enroll in medicare and still not pay the penalty? But when I looked it up I read that his coverage has to be with an employer... will he still get the penalty or no? does he have to get his social security now?

If it's not employer coverage then yes definitely he will be penalized and have then have wait for the GEP to enroll in part B effective 7/1/17

Social security retirement benefits are completely separate from Medicare so no doesn't have to get that now.

----------

Hi Guys,

If it's not employer coverage then yes definitely he will be penalized and have then have wait for the GEP to enroll in part B effective 7/1/17

Social security retirement benefits are completely separate from Medicare so no doesn't have to get that now.

----------

Could you repeat that one more time?:twitchy:

I hate it when it does that.;)

Can he even be on an ACA plan at 65 years old? I think not. Plus the ACA plan premiums without the subsidy are through the roof and rising as we speak, so there would be no reason to stay in it even if he could!

One of my ACA clients got in a world of hurt starting in 2014 by not checking with me or Medicare when he turned 65. I am making a calendar reference now ahead of time for everyone who is due for Medicare in next 1-2 years. He loved his low cost subsidy plan, cheaper than Medicare, why not? Never called until open enrollment for ACA. It seems in July 2014 no one was looking, not carriers or HC.gov. We had to take him off ACA in January, and he went back to his free clinic that took him back again due to no ACA. He had to wait until 2015 July to enroll in Medicare B, but did get LIS, so avoided lifetime 10% penalty. Now on MAPD.
Now in 2016 it seems at least some carriers/HC.gov are paying attention. One of my ACA SSDI/prior to Medicare eligibility clients I had calendared for early contact got on Medicare in March rather than September as he expected, and was already off his ACA plan, onto an RX plan when I called him 4 months out of the expected month. He thinks it was the carrier or Healthcare.gov, who then sent him to Medicare for an RX plan. He's now on LIS and an MAPD from me.
I expect there may be some information about this in the new training for FFM certification. I will ask carriers in the training classes for fall.

Back