Part D deductible transfers

It's too early for me to wrap my head around the relationship between deductible and out of pocket max, but this site has info and CMS sources for the info. Q1Medicare.com FAQ: Q1FAQ.com/631.html

A quick scan of your link suggests to me that your original concept is still correct, that deductibles don't transfer between plans, but payment balances transfer between PDP plans and will be used in computing a beneficiary's progress towards meeting the deductible in the new plan, according to the deductible terms of the new plan.

edit 20190410----
The proper out of pocket terminology appears to be True Out of Pocket (TrOOP).
And the Part D sponsors, rather than CMS, are responsible for tracking it.
end edit ------

Last edited:
A quick scan of your link suggests to me that your original concept is still correct, that deductibles don't transfer between plans, but payment balances transfer between PDP plans and will be used in computing a beneficiary's progress towards meeting the deductible in the new plan, according to the deductible terms of the new plan.

No, it doesn't say the words, "deductible transfer between plans", but the bottom line is that they do. So, don't make it hard. When the, "payment balances" transfer, that also includes the deductible, if any that was paid by the client. If they were in a plan that covered the deductible, they will calculate what they did spend and apply that to the "new" deductible. So, to make a short story even shorter....yep, it transfers.

I believe the word "deductible" has been used with two different meanings in this thread.
I believe the answer to the op's question is "you might". It would depend on what the new plan decided.

edit 20190410 ------
2nd and 3rd sentences incorrect
end edit ----

Last edited:
No, it doesn't say the words, "deductible transfer between plans", but the bottom line is that they do. So, don't make it hard. When the, "payment balances" transfer, that also includes the deductible, if any that was paid by the client. If they were in a plan that covered the deductible, they will calculate what they did spend and apply that to the "new" deductible. So, to make a short story even shorter....yep, it transfers.

Ok, thanks.

If you've met the '19 deductible on a plan and you switch to another plan with the same deductible would you pay it again? If not, can anyone link me CMS literature to reflect this? I've been though all of the CMS/Medicare paperwork and pdfs I could find and it's not specifically outlined

See ToddKing's comment above about the deductible not specifically transferring in numbers. That means you are not going to find a tidy, clean answer to your question.

Pp 78 and following in the link discuss a number of different situations in which TrOOP and Spending Balance information is transferred between PDP's. Some of those situations include deductible recomputations. Perhaps this will work for you as a CMS concept document to answer your concern.

https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescr...r-14-Coordination-of-Benefits-v09-17-2018.pdf

And note an implication: The initial answer of "yes it transfers" is predicated on the assumption that there are no subsequent processing changes by the previous plan(s).

Back