Part D, Medicare, Drugs

dandan

Guru
100+ Post Club
Are you allowed to have a Medicare part D plan along with group coverage?

The group plan does not offer some meds that a current client is taking.

Are you allowed to have a Medicare part D plan along with group coverage?

The group plan does not offer some meds that a current client is taking.

The last statement would lead me to believe the group plan does provide some Rx benefits. Therefore, not eligible for Part D unless group plan is discontinued..

He might need to consult his benefits person at the group plan. With some group plans enrollment in PDP's can disenroll the member from the group.

grrrr... are you sure?

He can most definately enroll in a stand alone PDP if he has Medicare.

Should he? That's a different question and one that needs more details.

Does he have RX coverage thru his employer plan? If he does, it doesn't have a do-nut hole. Why subject to a do-nut hole if he takes many meds?

Can he opt out of the employer plan if the PDP is a better choice? If so, can he opt out of only the RX and not the entire plan? If he has to give up the entire plan to get a PDP, is that a wise choice?

"Enrolling into a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan may cause disenrollment from an employer or union health
plan, if that plan has a certain drug plan attached to it. It is very important to read the communications sent by
the employer or union and to contact the benefits administrator who can answer insurance questions. Usually if
a person loses or drops his employer or union coverage, he cannot get it back"

well, I told him it was fine to enroll in a pdp with his group. I tried calling him to tell him to check with his company first, his wife said she thought he enrolled on the phone after I spoke with him!

Oh well now what??

Back