Part D Penalty Question

Oct 7, 2015

1. SirLurkAlot

SirLurkAlot Expert

State:
    Texas
    A potential client called me about getting Part D. They are 79 y.o. and have been on medicare since age 65 but never had Part D or creditable coverage. From what month and year do I begin to calculate the number of months for the 1% penalty? Is it January 2006, June 2006 or other? I seem to remember they extended enrollment the first year.

2. TwoCents

TwoCents Guru

Without charging you a research fee, the answer appears to be 5/15/2006.

Supporting info:
    Chapter 3 of the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Manual
    At the beginning of the Part D program, there was an IEP for Part D for all current Medicare beneficiaries and individuals who became eligible for Medicare in January 2006 that began on November 15, 2005 and ended May 15, 2006.

Chapter 4:
    10.1 - Determine the Period in Question
    The Part D plan sponsor shall determine, at the time of enrollment, whether a beneficiary who enrolls in Medicare drug plan will have or had a break in creditable prescription drug coverage for a continuous period of 63 days or more anytime after they were first eligible to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan. The Part D plan sponsor shall first determine the appropriate period in question: (1) following Part D/Retiree Drug Subsidy (RDS) disenrollment as described below; (2) the end of the Part D Initial Enrollment Period (IEP); or (3) end of the subsequent IEP.

10.1.2 - End of the Part D Initial Enrollment Period
    For individuals who did not have prior Part D plan or RDS enrollment and are not in their subsequent IEP, the period in question begins on the day following the beneficiary’s Part D IEP and ends on the day before the beneficiary’s enrollment becomes effective with the Part D plan sponsor.
    Unless otherwise informed by CMS, a Part D plan sponsor shall assume that the last day of a beneficiary’s IEP is/was:
     May 15, 2006 for a beneficiary who was eligible for Medicare Part D in January 2006.

3. TN_agent

TN_agent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    I would not attempt to calculate it exactly yourself, I would just give a ballpark number.

4. DS4

DS4 Guru

State:
    California
    here ya go.........this is my own calculation sheet

Attached Files:

DS4, Oct 7, 2015
  5. SirLurkAlot

SirLurkAlot Expert

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for responses! Plan on ball-parking but wanted to ballpark as close as possible. I had thought June 1 but researched and didn't find exact answer. May 15 would be odd given the first of month effectives but this is Part D and their is no shortage of screwed up rules\guidelines.

----------

Wow! Thanks DS4!

6. Justin Bilyj

Justin Bilyj Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Looking at this, how would this calculate the monthly penalty amount? I'm a little confused. If someone didn't have credible drug coverage for 14 years, what would the monthly penalty be? Gonna have to create my own excel calculator..

7. plannerman

plannerman Super Genius

State:
    Missouri
    I saw a figure of .33 per month for the 2015 arp enrollees

8. Justin Bilyj

Justin Bilyj Guru

State:
    Ohio
    Per month, so if this person didn't have drug coverage for 14 years what's their penalty amount they paying per month for a pdp? $55 plus the monthly premium?

Found this calculator, was off by a couple of dollars..

9. Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy Guru

State:
    Georgia
    My suggestion would be to call a PDP provider, like Humana or UHC and have them ballpark it for you.