PBM (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) the Bane of Healthcare

Here Are "The Most Profitable Corporations You've Never Heard Of" | Zero Hedge

In the case of PBMs, their desire for larger patient networks created incentives for their own consolidation, promoting their market dominance as a means to attract customers. Today’s “big three” PBMs—Express Scripts, CVS Caremark, and OptumRx, a division of large insurer UnitedHealth Group—control between 75 percent and 80 percent of the market, which translates into 180 million prescription drug customers. All three companies are listed in the top 22 of the Fortune 500, and as of 2013, a JPMorgan analyst estimated total PBM revenues at more than $250 billion.

The Pharmaceutical Care Management Association, the industry’s lobbying group, claims that PBMs will save health plans $654 billion over the next decade. But we do know that PBMs haven’t exactly arrested skyrocketing drug prices. According to data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, between 1987 and 2014, expenditures on prescription drugs have jumped 1,100 percent. Numerous factors can explain that—increased volume of medications, more usage of brand-name drugs, price-gouging by drug companies. But PBM profit margins have been growing as well. For example, according to one report, Express Scripts’ adjusted profit per prescription has increased 500 percent since 2003, and earnings per adjusted claim for the nation’s largest PBM went from $3.87 in 2012 to $5.16 in 2016. That translates into billions of dollars skimmed into Express Scripts’ coffers, coming not out of the pockets of big drug companies or insurers, but of the remaining independent retail druggists—and consumers.

Why haven’t PBMs fulfilled their promise as a cost inhibitor? The biggest reason experts cite is an information advantage in the complex pharmaceutical supply chain. At a hearing last year about the EpiPen, a simple shot to relieve symptoms of food allergies, Heather Bresch, CEO of EpiPen manufacturer Mylan, released a chart claiming that more than half of the list price for the product ($334 out of the $608 for a two-pack) goes to other participants—insurers, wholesalers, retailers, or the PBM. But when asked by Republican Representative Buddy Carter of Georgia, the only pharmacist in Congress, how much the PBM receives, Bresch replied, “I don’t specifically know the breakdown.” Carter nodded his head and said, “Nor do I and I’m the pharmacist. … That’s the problem, nobody knows.”

The PBM industry is rife with conflicts of interest and kickbacks. For example, PBMs secure rebates from drug companies as a condition of putting their products on the formulary, the list of reimbursable drugs for their network. However, they are under no obligation to disclose those rebates to health plans, or pass them along. Sometimes PBMs call them something other than rebates, using semantics to hold onto the cash. Health plans have no way to obtain drug-by-drug cost information to know if they’re getting the full discount.

Controlling the formulary gives PBMs a crucial point of leverage over the system. Express Scripts and CVS Caremark have used it to exclude hundreds of drugs, while preferring other therapeutic treatments. (This can result in patients getting locked out of their medications without an emergency exemption.) And there are indications that PBMs place drugs on their formularies based on how high a rebate they obtain, rather than the lowest cost or what is most effective for the patient.

Additionally, The Columbus Dispatch explained last October how, in some cases, a consumer’s co-pay costs more than the price of the drug outside the health plan. But the pharmacy is barred from informing the patients because of clauses in their PBM contracts; they can only provide the information when asked. The excess co-pay goes back to the PBM.

So in a previous life, I was in the pharmacy world. As in, my high school/college job was as a pharmacy tech at Eckerds. (I'm old. Not Gollini old, but old) My first job out of college was for a health insurance company based in Cypress CA working for their in-house PBM. Then I came back to Texas and went to work for Advance Paradigm, which morphed into Caremark/CVS after several years.

There are 4 main PBM's. Express, Caremark, Prime (Some BCBS's) and Optum (UHC). (There's also Envision, but that's part of Rite Aid, which will be a whole new ballgame if the Rite Aid/Walgreens merger goes through)

PBM's really don't care what the cost of the drugs are. They negotiate contracts based on the AWP (Average Wholesale Price) and a dispensing fee. No clue what it is now, but 10 years ago CVS was giving 85% of AWP plus $2.50 for a script. So if the drugs cost $100, then the pharmacy got $87.50. When you go to Medicare.gov, you are getting the contracted rates between the PBM and the pharmacy, based on the plan's copay. This becomes a pass thru to the insurance company.

BUT...then you deal with the drug company cuts a chain of pharmacy a better deal for their drugs. Or the PBM cuts a deal with Walgreens, but part of that deal is that they kick CVS out of the network.

Then we have the drug manufacturers buying the lists of DEA numbers from the PBM's to determine which docs get the trip to the Bahamas to "learn a new technique". Most states don't require DEA's on non-controlled RX's. The PBM's do require it to pay the claim, though. Since they sell that information, later.

And of course, the PBM's get rebates from the drug manufacturers, too.

They also provide what's called "Clinical Management". In English, that's when they implement step therapy and require the cheaper drugs to be used before the more expensive drugs are approved. (Which actually is logical.) Or determine that certain docs in an HMO are over-prescribing Benicar HCTZ, so send someone out from Provider Relations to slap them down and get them on something cheaper.

All of this is why you can see a clear pharmacy winner every year by Oct 3. This year it was Walgreens. Last year was CVS. Year before was Walmart. I have a ton of clients on the new AARP Part D, but using Walmart for all their drugs except Beincar. They use Walgreens for that, because Walmart rates on Benicar are significantly higher. And you can't use Humana, because they don't have Benicar.

But if you only put in CVS and Walmart, you would never know that because the new AARP plan doesn't appear. You have to use all 3 (plus Rite Aid if you are on the East Coast) to really determine the best plan.

My standard line is "Your drug costs will be based on a triangle of contracts between your pharmacy, insurance company and drug company"

If you are looking for PBM's to part of the solution, keep looking.....

Thanks for the detailed information on PBM's.

Care to address the rise in price for generics? Some increasing 200% - 300% or even more.

Thanks for the detailed information on PBM's.

Care to address the rise in price for generics? Some increasing 200% - 300% or even more.

IMO, the prices went out of control with passage of Part D. They went into the stratosphere with ACA.

The government is paying the bill. Most insured pay $10 and don't care about the actual cost.

But I am not seeing those generic increases. Is it drug AND pharmacy specific?

Example: Generic drug X is $22. And has been for over a year. And since I know to play the game, I check drug prices monthly at Good RX. However, I know that if I move from Kroger to Walgreens, I am going to pay $38. But the Pravastatin today went from $18 to $44. So I used the Good RX coupon to get it to $9.50. My pharmacist told me today that they are getting price updates every 6 weeks and they are significant in both directions. More than ever, we need to advise our clients on how to work the system in their favor.

You can't say a drug increased in cost until you compare the same drug at multiple pharmacies.

Cleveland Clinic wanted him to run their new pharmacy but he declined to stay in retail. Any specific questions, or just his opinion on pbms in general related to pricing efficiency?

Sure.

But I bet when you say "whats your opinion on PBMs?" you get an earful ;)

Back