PC Experts...question?

Apr 27, 2016

1. Gulfman

Gulfman Guru

State:
    Florida
    I have a house that i want to do a "owner-builder" re-roof job. I have a retired roofer/consultant and the workers to do job pull a "owner-builder" permit and complete the job. I will live there while i'm doing it (if possible) or stay off site.

1. If a storm happens to hit the house while doing the job, will my insurance pay for the damage caused by any storm?

2. Will my home owners policy pay for workers if they should happen to get hurt?

3. Any other issues that i should look for?

Thanks for your constructive input...

Gulfman, Apr 27, 2016
  2. FEX Quotes

FEX Quotes Guru

State:
    New Jersey
    Yes

No

Contractor should have GL naming you as additional insured. Contractor should also have WC.

3. hesse

hesse Guru

Originally Posted by Gulfman View Post

2. Will my home owners policy pay for workers if they should happen to get hurt?

if licensed and insured the homeowners shouldn't have to pay.

in the event he isn't insured the homeowners liability would maybe respond in the event of an injury

Had an insured that hired somebody to put an egress window in his rental. Contractor fell in the hole broke his leg and his liability had to pay.

hesse, Apr 27, 2016
  4. FL P&C Broker

FL P&C Broker Guru

State:
    Florida
    I have a claim right now where the owner of the tree company had to come out to site to do some work and got injured. The owner excluded himself from the workers comp so he is suing the homeowner now. Not sure what is going to happen....

5. Gulfman

Gulfman Guru

State:
    Florida
    I wonder if his agreement (hopefully signed) with the home owner says?

----------

Hi Fex,...no, roofing consultant will not pull permit...i will. So, the permit will be in my names as owner/builder.

That's what i'm concerned with.

?

Gulfman, Apr 27, 2016