PDP in Combination with MA PPO?

The union coverage always gets me confused. If I run her medicare and it doesn't show a part D, should I assume its like VA coverage? And then, they would be able to add a MA-only?

The union coverage always gets me confused. If I run her medicare and it doesn't show a part D, should I assume its like VA coverage? And then, they would be able to add a MA-only?

If the group coverage is a Medicare Advantage plan, then it would have a CMS contract like say H1036 followed by 3 numbers in the 800-900 range. There are special group rules when it comes to adding a stand-alone PDP to those. I'd have to look it up, but usually the PDP has to be from a group and also be in that same 800-900 range.

If CMS/Medicare has no record of the coverage, then it's some other kind of retiree program and you have to be careful with COB and other fun stuff.

A friend's mother is on her deceased husband's union retiree benefits. Last week she received a letter stating that the drug coverage isn't creditable and she could buy a standalone Part D, if she wanted and keep what she has as well. It's a Med Supp and she also has dental and vision.

She had a standalone Humana Part D until a year or so ago then dropped it as she didn't think she needed it. When she called Social Security earlier this week she was told she'll have a LEP of around $5.00 per month. I'm going to write her on an Envision Rx as I told her not to let the penalty keep adding up, in the event she needs drugs someday that aren't on her retiree plan's formulary.

According to the email, you can sell a PDP along with a MA only PFFS, but not a MA only PPO. If that is indeed the case, who would ever enroll in a MA only PPO?
I do it for vets and native Americans, both have creditable drug coverage

If it helps, you can't sign up a person on a PDP plan if they have a network based MA only plan. Be it HMO, PPO, PFFS or whatever. Although I don't know if there are any more network based PFFS anymore. Humana has a the most popular MA only PPO around, it's their RPPO and like it was already said above it's designed for vets or rail road retirees or others who have drug coverage that is credible to Part D.

Back