PDP Plans for 2009

insurance0707

Guru
1000 Post Club
Michigan
I've noticed that many of the PDP plans have raised their premiums significantly and raised their copays on tier 2 and tier 3

Humana for example in MI went from $25.70 and a tier 2 was $25 copay. For 2009 the premium is $38 something and the tier 2 is $40 copay. It's not just Humana, I've been looking at the websites of different companies....most of them have the 2009 rates and copays online now. These are pretty big jumps, especially for seniors.

I've started looking at different plans to offer. RX America looks pretty decent and Medco's not too bad. Has anyone else started looking into this? Why in the world did PDP's do this. They weren't effected by the cutbacks on MAPDs from Medicare were they?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've helped alot of clients with their prescriptions. If my average client is on 4 brandname drugs and they were payinng $100 in copays (tier 2 $25 copay) They'll now have to pay $160 in copays (tier 2 is now $40) That's an increase of $720 a year just on copays, not to mention the higher premium

Last edited:
I've noticed that many of the PDP plans have raised their premiums significantly and raised their copays on tier 2 and tier 3

Humana for example in MI went from $25.70 and a tier 2 was $25 copay. For 2009 the premium is $38 something and the tier 2 is $40 copay. It's not just Humana, I've been looking at the websites of different companies....most of them have the 2009 rates and copays online now. These are pretty big jumps, especially for seniors.

I've started looking at different plans to offer. RX America looks pretty decent and Medco's not too bad. Has anyone else started looking into this? Why in the world did PDP's do this. They weren't effected by the cutbacks on MAPDs from Medicare were they?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've helped alot of clients with their prescriptions. If my average client is on 4 brandname drugs and they were payinng $100 in copays (tier 2 $25 copay) They'll now have to pay $160 in copays (tier 2 is now $40) That's an increase of $720 a year just on copays, not to mention the higher premium

When we don't have any choice there isn't a whole lot we can do about it but try to find the best deal for our clients who have already taken a plan.

I think it will cause a lot of seniors who don't take any drugs and signed up just to eliminate the penalty to possibly rethink their decision.

I talked to a lot of them two years ago who decided that they would rather gamble on paying the penality than to sign up for it at that time. This is not going to encourgae them to change their mind.

I've been suggesting that some of my clients look to overseas pharmacies for their prescriptions. This allows them to only use the PDP for generics or brands not available from out of the country.

I've been using planetdrugsdirect.com for some of my prescriptions - cheaper than a copay. For people on PDP plans, this helps avoid the gap.

It's up to the senior what they want to do. I simply give them another choice.

Rick

Has anyone seen the 2009 rates from Coventry? I just went there and signed in as a broker but could not find the 2009 rates for Advantra Freedom.

most insurance companies have their 2009 rates and copays online at their site. I couldn't find coventrys 2009, it looks like they don't have it up yet. I would check everyday

Has anyone seen the 2009 rates from Coventry? I just went there and signed in as a broker but could not find the 2009 rates for Advantra Freedom.
My "go to" company in 2008 was Advantra Rx. I saw the rates (not formulary) for 2009 and they seem to still be the company I'll use most of the time.

A little higher cost, maybe 10%, but still much less than what Humana is doing.

I just hope Advantra allows for an on-line enrollment. I never liked the telephone stuff.

Rick

My go to company for 2008 was the AARP Part-D plan.....Great formalary...........free generic if they do mail order.......Avantra RX, & Healthnet was also very good also.........We will see if leads the pack withs regards to cost and formulary for 2009????????

Rick,

Could you please direct me to the proper location on the Advantra website in order to view the 2009 rates? Thanks

My "go to" company in 2008 was Advantra Rx. I saw the rates (not formulary) for 2009 and they seem to still be the company I'll use most of the time.

A little higher cost, maybe 10%, but still much less than what Humana is doing.

I just hope Advantra allows for an on-line enrollment. I never liked the telephone stuff.

Rick

Go to ritterim.com

Register for their quote engine and when you get password, you put in your zip code, check the boxes for 2009 PDP and Medicare advantage and you will see the rates for most of the plans in your area.

FYI, Advantra (my area 22.10 no deductible) was 22.70 for 08 and First Health Part D ($16.10 -175 ded. and $26.00 no ded)are two of the best. Interesting doing a google search on First Health is that a Advantra website comes up.

Those will be my go to plans along with BCBS.

Back