PDP telesales by carriers

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
What are the rules for telesales by carriers in regard to PDP plans? Suppose they hear an ad on TV and call and want to discuss a pdp plan. Does the carrier have to mail them an appointment approval form and they have to have it 48 hours in advance or are the carriers special?

I am going to guess that they are special because this whole shlock process is about driving more sales through telesales. Anyway, does anyone know?

Winter

What are the rules for telesales by carriers in regard to PDP plans? Suppose they hear an ad on TV and call and want to discuss a pdp plan. Does the carrier have to mail them an appointment approval form and they have to have it 48 hours in advance or are the carriers special?

I am going to guess that they are special because this whole shlock process is about driving more sales through telesales. Anyway, does anyone know?

Winter

The carriers are immune. It is because of unscrupulous agents that the rest of us have the burden of onerous rules to contend with.

carriers are not immune ... the only regulation they have lee-way on is agent commissions.

Alright, so how does that work logistically? Customer calls AARP/UHC for info and potential enrollment in a PDP plan. What's the next step?

Alright, so how does that work logistically? Customer calls AARP/UHC for info and potential enrollment in a PDP plan. What's the next step?

I don't agree with AgentOrange... I am not sure he/she knows what they are talking about. If a carrier uses outbound telesales, they follow a script, usually record it, and field interested parties. They then either send an agent out to discuss the plans, no SOA needed, or give the party the inbound number for them to call in and enroll over the phone. They still cannot enroll on an outbound call if that is what AgentOrange is referring to.

My contention is that they are the carrier providing the coverage, and need not require an SOA to send out an agent because they are responding to an inbound inquiry. If an independent agent wants to contact a prospect, it must be done by direct mail or referral. In any case, other than being sent by the carrier, an agent must get an SOA signed before making a presentation for a MA or PDP plan unless they use an approved direct mail lead card.

Last edited:
carriers can not do out bound calls to solicate sales. They cn call existing members to provide info on changes and offer extras like dental. If a prospect calls in they have a recorded wave file of prospect soliciting an agent. The agent can then follow up and fill out the scope of appointment before giving the presentation. this isnt rocket science, just follow the instructions. and you dont disagree with me you disagree with the new rules.

carriers can not do out bound calls to solicate sales. They cn call existing members to provide info on changes and offer extras like dental. If a prospect calls in they have a recorded wave file of prospect soliciting an agent. The agent can then follow up and fill out the scope of appointment before giving the presentation. this isnt rocket science, just follow the instructions. and you dont disagree with me you disagree with the new rules.

This is incorrect. If the person calls the carrier and the carier records the call, no SOA is needed. The carrier can alos enroll the person on that same call as can an agent if a person calls the agent.

The "bottom line" is that everyone posting is guessing what CMS is requiring. Any agent who comes here to find out "exactly" what is or isn't "legal" is going to "hang their hat" on the explanation that best suits their needs.

Each agent needs to read the CMS guidelines and decide for themselves how they are going to market MA plans. Grow a pair and make the best decision you can and stand by it. By design even CMS cannot tell us precisly what we can and can't do.

Personally I'm going to act in the best interest of the prospect I'm trying to help. I am giving them all the facts and doing everything I can to help them make a well informed, intelligent decision regarding what is the best option for them.

In my humble opinion that is all that I need to be concerned about. As an agent the only thing I have going for me is my credibility. I'm sure not going to put that in jeopardy because some pencil-neck at CMS thinks that seniors are not entitled to have all of the information available to make an intelligent decision regarding the best investment of their premium dollar.

Back