Hey everyone! Does anyone have any idea what personal auto carriers offer coverage for these peer-to-peer car-sharing hosts? Just an insight on this one, like Uber... Turo & GetAround seems to offer the ability for anyone to rent their car out on their platform, and offer a policy that kicks in while the vehicle is being rented out on their platform. Yet, nearly every personal insurance carrier I know of has this peer-to-peer car-sharing usage as completely ineligible... and, it seems that the only accepting policies for these hosts are commercial auto… Have you heard or know of any personal carriers that are accepting of this usage? Given, that the host only lists their car out every once in while and still maintains it for personal use?

—Any insights on this would be great.

Have heard that certain carriers are test marketing for this concept in different markets but don't expect it to be available to general public for some time. Some carriers are looking at protecting their customers who "borrow" the car, other companies are looking at their customer who "lends" their car for rental. Personally I think it is a stupid concept because the car lender and the insurance carrier have no Motor Vehicle background report on the driver with which to rate the policy, hence you have the person in San Francisco who totaled the Tesla in an intersection because she was in self drive mode

I think Liberty Mutual is the insurer for Turo but I do not know if they insure the owner of the vehicle when he is driving it or just the renter when it is rented.

Back