Pennsylvania P&C

mmike160

Guru
100+ Post Club
PA
I'm in the process of getting my P&C license. I'm going get my E&O through E&O for Less, as it's the best price I've seen.

I know getting appointed from the get go, is one of the tricky parts to P&C. Wholesalers have been discussed to death, but I was curious what other PA Indy P&C Agents might recommend?

Insurance Noodle or Superior Access or any others I should look at?

I plan on only focusing on personal lines initially (until I get my feet wet)...

Thanks for any advice...

Maybe you could try new companies who are hungry for agents...hallmark, mercury, research the pa ins dept. site and see who's new in the state

I was checking out Progressive, looks like they may appointed me. After a ton of time researching these wholesalers, they all mostly look like junk, except SIAA. Throwing 10k at them, so I can borrow their contracts doesn't feel advisable.

I've been selling life and health lines for the past 3 years and all I think I really need is one good P&C carrier (to start off with). I like Progressive's visibility in the industry, hopefully their rates are competitive too... Plus based on their broker website, looks like I would qualify for appointment:
  1. Be a licensed agent/agency in good standing with the Department of Insurance in the state where you plan to write business.
  2. Have an active agency Errors & Omissions (E&O) policy with minimum aggregate limits of $300,000.
  3. Pass Progressive's criminal background investigation.
We'll see what happens...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Maybe you could try new companies who are hungry for agents...hallmark, mercury, research the pa ins dept. site and see who's new in the state

I like your website, Dan... Looks good...

Last edited:
Without an existing book, there is almost no way you will meet the annual commitment of the big companies. If you want one, Progressive may possibly offer a contract. Their commitment isn't very hurtful but personal lines it isn't my main market.

I once looked a SIAA. Good people and I know people associated with them and the Glatfelter Insurance Group.
Now if only I had the book of firefighter business that Art has!!! :laugh:

For P&C I've been indy since 1985. I've done things on an indy basis with local small agencies but those small agencies aren't as plentiful. The big buy and merger during the 90's whittled the small agency market.

I went with a big agency as an indy, moved a lot of business their way. Then an advisor told them to get rid of all outside brokers. They did and the letter was sent and BTW, we won't be paying you anymore on your book. Ouch! That cost me$20,000 a year. I've recaptured a lot of it but some I could not move.

Insurance Noodle wasn't bad but for my main markets, at the time, they lacked those markets.

The Iroquois Group is one that I would check out.

I've settled with one I like and it suits me fine. That is Producers Insurance Network. Costs about $550 a year to belong but they have what I need.

BTW.........I've never ever signed any non-compete clauses for any type of insurance I sell. To me a non-compete on an independent means...hey we are going to screw at some later date and we don't want you to have any legal recourse.

$300,000 E&O? Be prepared to increase that if you want to start doing business with other places than Progressive. I pay $2,000 a year for my $1 mil/$2 mil E&O policy. Deductible each claim is $5,000.

I don't know how long you have been doing P&C but to keep your E&O clean the words are DOCUMENT - DOCUMENT DOCUMENT every phone conversation, every e-mail, etc. Get a good contact manager and away you go. Especially if you are going to be doing personal lines. They have their new car/old car / kid just bought a car / kid just sold a car and you don't want to miss one of those changes.

I was checking out Progressive, looks like they may appointed me. After a ton of time researching these wholesalers, they all mostly look like junk, except SIAA. Throwing 10k at them, so I can borrow their contracts doesn't feel advisable.

I've been selling life and health lines for the past 3 years and all I think I really need is one good P&C carrier (to start off with). I like Progressive's visibility in the industry, hopefully their rates are competitive too... Plus based on their broker website, looks like I would qualify for appointment:
  1. Be a licensed agent/agency in good standing with the Department of Insurance in the state where you plan to write business.
  2. Have an active agency Errors & Omissions (E&O) policy with minimum aggregate limits of $300,000.
  3. Pass Progressive's criminal background investigation.
We'll see what happens...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like your website, Dan... Looks good...

Back