People are absolutely clueless about Medicare

Did you use visual aids in your seminars? Flip charts, projector slides, something else?

And were handouts allowed with the presentations you did-and if so-did you (or the hospital) provide any?

Thanks.

Yes I used PowerPoint. We had a packet of stuff we gave out including a print out of the PowerPoint as well as a copy of the Choosing a Medigap Policy government booklet which is a lot of what I taught from.

It's not just consumers that are clueless. I know of a guy who was training people to sell Medicare by phone who still doesn't understand Plan N.

Rick

My experience with Medicare is only for the last two years. Before that my primary market was individual health insurance. With Obamacare I would say 75% of my business are low to moderate income people or households that would never be able to afford health insurance without the law. Ideally everyone should choose a Medigap supplement. But guess what a lot of my Obamacare people can barely afford the $134 a month for part B alone and Medicare advantage is really the only viable option. They are used to paying $50 or $60 per month with zero deductible from a major carrier. Some can only afford it with a buyback from the Medicare advantage carrier. It’s not ideal but even a high deductible F plan and a separate D plan goes over their budget. I push that first but as you know when people are only on a limited budget they kind of take what they can get. So yes Medicare advantage is not ideal, but it helps a lot of people and my clients have been very happy. But ultimately it is up to the agent to explain both options so there are no surprises and at least you have presented everything that’s available and they choose on their own. We are being paid a commission for a reason. If the client doesn’t know what they have then you didn’t do your job.

I've been selling Med Supps for 36 years. From my own experience, I received my Medicare & You handbook the day before my Medicare Started! Medicare does a poor job educating the public on benefits and timing of when they can and cannot enroll in the various plan. Case in point, my next door neighbor (who is a know it all) just retired from the VA hospital at age 72. He was trying to impress me that he knew he had 8 month to enroll in Part B and believed he had the same timeframe to enroll in Part D. I let him know he would miss out until AEP if he didn't enroll within 2 months. Amazing!

I've been selling Med Supps for 36 years. From my own experience, I received my Medicare & You handbook the day before my Medicare Started! Medicare does a poor job educating the public on benefits and timing of when they can and cannot enroll in the various plan. Case in point, my next door neighbor (who is a know it all) just retired from the VA hospital at age 72. He was trying to impress me that he knew he had 8 month to enroll in Part B and believed he had the same timeframe to enroll in Part D. I let him know he would miss out until AEP if he didn't enroll within 2 months. Amazing!

I was just looking this over. Actually the Medicare and You handbook does a pretty good job with Medigap and PDP timing.

How many people do you think actually read Medicare & You?

I have a professor friend in her late 50s inform me she's retiring at 62 when I "can go on Medicare." She was shocked when I told her it's 65.

A successful Realtor in a networking group I belong to keeps promising to call for an appointment because, "you HAVE to go on Medicare at 66, right?"

y'all can have the nsurance for the old folks - they are a pain in the ass . . .

Latest posts

Back