Percentage of Income for Life Insurance?

Correct percentage of income to spend on Insurance

• Total voters

James

Guru
1000 Post Club
Obviously we all have heard about the X factor for life, may it be 10, 15 or 20X your income. So let me ask this, is there a standard factor on cost as percentage of yearly income. Such as a Home, use to be I think 20% of yearly income, even now I think that is closer to 40% of income. So is there any formula one uses to fit Insurance money within the household budget?

James said:
Obviously we all have heard about the X factor for life, may it be 10, 15 or 20X your income. So let me ask this, is there a standard factor on cost as percentage of yearly income. Such as a Home, use to be I think 20% of yearly income, even now I think that is closer to 40% of income. So is there any formula one uses to fit Insurance money within the household budget?

I have always heard 5% should be spent on insuring your assests (Home, cars, income, etc.) What percentage of income spent on LI depends if the person is buying only DB or if they are looking for ways to save more money.

indaville said:
I have always heard 5% should be spent on insuring your assests (Home, cars, income, etc.) What percentage of income spent on LI depends if the person is buying only DB or if they are looking for ways to save more money.

That makes good sense, thanks for the insight.

I would agree that if it is whole life - the premium should be counted towards the 10-15% recommended savings rate.

After all, after 15 - 35 years. whole life cash value is typically at the aquivalent of a 4 - 6% (not per year but as an interest rate calculation based on the whole life premium PMT and the FV being the cash value over N years) savings veicle (and who would complain about 5% in a muni bond?).

I use this with I-bankers all the time and they love it. They have volatile income and usually volatile investments so they appreciate "safe money".

When we show them that whole life way out-paces munis or CDs or whatever safe vehicle they've been using - it's a lay up from there.

Best, Steven Druckman

We don't see too many posts from 2006 resurrected here. That's ancient history! What brought this on?

[FONT=&quot]Income insurance[/FONT][FONT=&quot] meets the essential need of a wage earner to secure his/her income in case of incapability to work due to illness or accident. It provides an income flow in your family when you are unable to bear the financial need. Formerly permanent health policy is the mother of the popular income insurance policy.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Due to its essentiality and effectiveness it becomes popular now a day. You or your family may face financial hazards in case of some circumstances. It’s you, only you can protect your family from these hazards by a little contribution from your on going income through an income insurance policy.[/FONT]

Looks like another spammer joined us.

Back