Percentage of Leads Received Are Under Age 60

I had a lead that I contacted about 3 months ago and he wanted some term insurance. He takes a massive amount of pain meds and is on disability. He had been declined numerous times. I shopped for weeks and one day I called Foresters and talked to an underwriter. To my surprise I was given a tentative offer of Table 4. He and his wife were so happy and called me regularly to check on the status. Well this week the company finally made an offer of Table 6. Went be to see the couple and his wife was thanking me for my effort. He didn't act so happy although he told me to have the policy issued. Called me today and cancelled. Don't know if he shopped and another agent told him he could do better. He is a tobacco user and I suspect he is going to try to quit for a year and reapply. Wrong decision. I have seen too many people who won't accept a rated policy and wish they had a few months later.

----------

I bet you would be concerned if you were consistently getting way too many under age 60 leads. You can state on this forum that age doesn't matter, but it does when working FE. Otherwise why do most agents purchase a lead filter?

You would lose that bet. I don't care. You can ask Newby if I have ever said a word about the ages. You could ask Ryan Caras the same thing when I was at EFES.

I agree that it seems most agents worry too much about things like that.

Some even only to mail to females.

Most do seem to want the lead to do everything for them.

I do know that you don't hear the top producers whining about that stuff. Or, I never have heard it from them anyway.

I'm going to agree with jdeasy on this one. Billy the less you think about it the more you will write. I actually love getting those 80 and up leads cause I end up sitting down with their children that live in the home and get them a policy.

Actually you all keep mailing the 60-80 range!

Why do most agents purchase a lead filter? If they wanted those under age 60 leads they wouldn't pay the extra money.? If I could buy one to weed these people out I would.

You might whine to Newby if you consistently got more than 30% of your leads under the age of 60. I wouldn't have started this post if my under age 60 returns was only 30%.

You're probably right about those agents just selling fe when there's an opportunity.

Nothing wrong with that. But when I'm posting in the fe forum my thoughts are about the fe agent.

As for the NCAA, I doubt they care at all about the FE market.

But if they sell fe they're just as welcome to talk about it in here as you are, regardless of your little "thoughts".

Kuhn are you saying Rgi runs the "life insurance " lead ages 60-80 for $28?Most of your agents must be in midwestern states?If your not in a populated area you'll be driving big time on those age parameters .

Why do most agents purchase a lead filter? If they wanted those under age 60 leads they wouldn't pay the extra money.? If I could buy one to weed these people out I would.

You might whine to Newby if you consistently got more than 30% of your leads under the age of 60. I wouldn't have started this post if my under age 60 returns was only 30%.

He doesn't care about ages. And we hardly have anyone that runs an age filter beyond our standard 55-79.

One thing you might check into if you are on RGI leads is if you are paying for age distribution or just getting anything they get. The leads are slightly cheaper if you take what ever they get. But here is the problem with that. Let's say one of our agents was mailing your same area and was paying for a 60 to 76 age filter. Then they mail the same area for you. They would have already mailed the 60-76 year olds so your mailers would go mostly to ages 50-59 and 77-85. If those are the ages you are getting that is likely what has happened.

For that reason we pay extra for the option to have even distribution on all of our mailings. That way our agents should get evenly distributed ages most of the time. That may or may not be part of your problem but it is something you can choose.

But in Florida it's possible that you are in an area that is so bad on returns that they won't even offer that option to you. I have never seen that happen but Parts of Florida are really bad. That's why we have mostly turned agents away in Florida so they don't have an effect on our entire agency.

Just this week we checked for an agent wanting to come on in Florida and the area he was in was so bad they would have needed a huge surcharge to mail for him. It wasn't worth doing. You could be in that same area and if so are lucky to be getting leads at all.

From your posts I would advise you to do one of three things:
1. Suck it up and play the hand you are dealt. Quit worrying about things out of your control.
2. Do your own mailings and mail to whatever ages you want but risk low returns.
3. Move to a part of the country that doesn't suck for FE agents.

I started this thread to find out how many under age 60 leads the average agents receives. It seems 30% to 35% is the norm. I get more than that so I was thinking that it may be a reason to be concerned.

My thoughts are that in low return areas like CA and possibly Fl is the same, using the fixed price lead vendors you will get higher response from the lower and higher age ranges. I think people keep tighter age ranges in those areas when they mail because they can't afford not to because of the low response rate. Therefore those age ranges don't get mailed to as much and respond at a higher rate.

He doesn't care about ages. And we hardly have anyone that runs an age filter beyond our standard 55-79.

One thing you might check into if you are on RGI leads is if you are paying for age distribution or just getting anything they get. The leads are slightly cheaper if you take what ever they get. But here is the problem with that. Let's say one of our agents was mailing your same area and was paying for a 60 to 76 age filter. Then they mail the same area for you. They would have already mailed the 60-76 year olds so your mailers would go mostly to ages 50-59 and 77-85. If those are the ages you are getting that is likely what has happened.

For that reason we pay extra for the option to have even distribution on all of our mailings. That way our agents should get evenly distributed ages most of the time. That may or may not be part of your problem but it is something you can choose.

But in Florida it's possible that you are in an area that is so bad on returns that they won't even offer that option to you. I have never seen that happen but Parts of Florida are really bad. That's why we have mostly turned agents away in Florida so they don't have an effect on our entire agency.

Just this week we checked for an agent wanting to come on in Florida and the area he was in was so bad they would have needed a huge surcharge to mail for him. It wasn't worth doing. You could be in that same area and if so are lucky to be getting leads at all.

From your posts I would advise you to do one of three things:
1. Suck it up and play the hand you are dealt. Quit worrying about things out of your control.
2. Do your own mailings and mail to whatever ages you want but risk low returns.
3. Move to a part of the country that doesn't suck for FE agents.

"" 1. Suck it up and play the hand you are dealt. Quit worrying about things out of your control.""

Wow, that sounds like sage advice. ;~}

Last edited:
Back