Perpetuity After Leaving Captive Status

Advantage4949

Good afternoon all! First time posting and I have troubling question. I have currently been a career (capitve agrnt) Humana. I've recently been offered a very lucrative position in another industry. I'm concerned if I left Humana I would lose commission on 15 MAPD that have yet to take effect (June-Aug effective). I'm more concerned with my residual commission, I'm afraid I'm going to lose out on that since I have over 1,000 active customers. I will keep my insurance license and hopefully my appointment as well. Pleas help

Sorry for grammar mistakes using iPhone!

Good afternoon all! First time posting and I have troubling question. I have currently been a career (capitve agrnt) Humana. I've recently been offered a very lucrative position in another industry. I'm concerned if I left Humana I would lose commission on 15 MAPD that have yet to take effect (June-Aug effective). I'm more concerned with my residual commission, I'm afraid I'm going to lose out on that since I have over 1,000 active customers. I will keep my insurance license and hopefully my appointment as well. Pleas help

Sorry for grammar mistakes using iPhone!

You will lose everything. The commission on the cases not yet effective plus the renewal commissions. That's just one of the downsides to being captive.

That's what I was afraid of happening :(. are they are allowed to prevent me from flipping to a competitor? Open enrollment is around the around the corner and I know UHC is in my market. Does any one know what they pay?

Edit out the state I'm in :)

That's what I was afraid of happening :(. are they are allowed to prevent me from flipping to a competitor? Open enrollment is around the around the corner and I know UHC is in my market. Does any one know what they pay? Edit out the state I'm in :)

You should probably read your contract. I'd be very surprised if it didn't include a non-compete/non-solicit clause.

That's what I was afraid of happening :(. are they are allowed to prevent me from flipping to a competitor? Open enrollment is around the around the corner and I know UHC is in my market. Does any one know what they pay?

Non-solicit agreements will mean you're open to a lot of liability if they decide they care.

Carriers have deep pockets and have no qualms about making an example of former employees.

You might want to reach out to Brian Penner (Bpenn9) on the forum. Pretty sure he is a former H captive.

Last edited:
So you've got over a thousand members generating renewals of $17 a month and you need to stay licensed and certified to keep them. Does your current agency have other requirements? Production? Why wouldn't you keep your license there since your new opportunity is not a conflict?

So you've got over a thousand members generating renewals of $17 a month and you need to stay licensed and certified to keep them. Does your current agency have other requirements? Production? Why wouldn't you keep your license there since your new opportunity is not a conflict?

You must have missed the part where he said he's captive. They don't get near that amount on renewals.

I had no idea. I understand "captive" but the OP must actually have one of those "job" things with a salary and benefits and boss. I had one once, I didn' like it!

Other than violating both your Humana contract and CMS marketing regulations this thought of moving 1,000 members to a different plan, with no regard to the needs of the Medicare beneficiary, in 7 weeks during OEP while working full time at this new great job sounds like a truly viable plan.

Back