Personality Testing. Am I unemployable?

Billy Ray

Expert
:nah:I have received 3 rejections based on these tests which I am told are the main deciding factor in hiring. I am really surprised, confused, angry....especially given my resume and the huge rates of failure reported in these professions:insurance, brokerage, financial planning, etc.
Any thoughts??? How do I beat the test? Should I lie?
I say no way.

Never lie, when taking these test it should never be that hard as to figure out what "NYL,NWM,MM" etc.. "are looking for or how they want you to reply to these question".

I often wish I had thought twice about leaving NYL, had I worked in good office I probaly would have stayed.

:nah:I have received 3 rejections based on these tests which I am told are the main deciding factor in hiring. I am really surprised, confused, angry....especially given my resume and the huge rates of failure reported in these professions:insurance, brokerage, financial planning, etc.
Any thoughts??? How do I beat the test? Should I lie?
I say no way.

Could these results be telling you that you are NOT well suited for the financial services or sales business...?

With that said, 3 failures is NOTHING... Those that have stubbed their toe a hundred times do not look at it as 100 ways to fail. They just found 100 ways that it wouldn't work, on their way to finding what DOES work.

Could these results be telling you that you are NOT well suited for the financial services or sales business...?

With that said, 3 failures is NOTHING... Those that have stubbed their toe a hundred times do not look at it as 100 ways to fail. They just found 100 ways that it wouldn't work, on their way to finding what DOES work.

Maybe it's a sign that you need to rethink your plan, maybe go it alone.

Stallone was turned down like 100 times for Rocky because he wanted to star in it, supposedly.

Those tests are a huge joke.

I've actually been coached by a manager before I took the darn test before. He told me what to say.

They basically want to see how ambitious you are, and if you have a realistic view of life as an agent. I have been told to take a hike by one company, but about 7 other times I took it correctly and passed. Not that I'm proud of taking it so often, hee hee

Do not be unconcerned about what the personality test reveals about you. Your inner make up, your internal wiring if you will, rules the way you think, react, and interact.

My internal wiring says that I put things off, I do, and that can certainly create problems in this business. My personalty profile says that I'm better suited being a business owner, employing people that I oversee daily, probably more in a blue collar type situation. And to be honest, I'd rather be wearing a nice pair of work boots, khakis, and a polo type shirt, driving around from job site to job site in a Ford F-250.

I had a hard time initially adapting my personality to sales, it took a while.

So be very careful about "cheating" the test, and working in sales when it may not be the best fit for you.

I've been in sales for 8 years. I've taken these personality tests before and have been told I've done well. Last week I failed the test at MetLife. I honestly answered questions about the importance of recognition and awards (show me the money, not a cheap trinket) if I want to have my picture taken with a celebrity (no) do I want to drive a luxury car (love my toyota truck), etc. The results said I was not aggressive enough and they did not want to interview me. I understand they have their policies. I think they should have looked at my W2's and see that I have a track record of sales success and taken that into consideration.

I agree with David and Scot in that the tests are great to show you where you might need to grow but a good manager should never solely rely on them.

Pick any sports hero that wasn't the ideal candidate and succeeded. Rudy anyone?

Forgive me but I was an A.L. Williams termite many years ago.

I heard Art Williams say many times that "there's never been a test designed that can look into the soul of a man and determine what he can accomplish". He was specifically talking about this very scenario.

Back