Phone Company VOIP or Cable Company VOIP for Reliability.

yogooglethis

Guru
1000 Post Club
I work from my home and I have Comcast cable for internet and cable that cost about 200.00 per month.I pay ATT 70.00 for a land line that I only keep because it has been on my business cards for the last 10 years and too many clients have it.I always have the land line forwarded to my cell even if I home.I have no plans of ever adding more lines its just a one man operation but I would like to bundle everything to either the ATT Uverse or Comcast cable because it would save me about 50%.Is VOIP more reliable with the cable company or phone company?Does it it really make a difference in reliability if i go the business class package or residential.

I want to save some money but my last trial with doing this with Comcast a few years ago cost me because my calls from my land-line were not always being forwarded to my cell phone and customers had told me that they though my phone was out of order.Is it more reliable now especially if i use the business class like the Comcast rep told me it would?

The company in question won't make a difference in the signal reliability for voip.

Voip signal quality is affected by 2 things. Your transfer rate needs to be high enough toAfter maintain a 64k connection, which means it needs to be over 100k a second (every internet connection in the damn world is over this now I think) and your jitter rate needs to be reliably within a +-10.

The only way to test that is by having it hooked up.

In most cases, cable is faster overall, but if there are line issues it tends to have a tad more jitter. Having said that, I use cable over dsl, and 100% of my phone use is ran through my own dialer system that I lease out to agents and use myself.

Best overall, if you have access to it, would be a fiberoptic solution such as verizon fios, but its not available in many areas. Fiber always has lower jitter and better ping rates and always has better phone signal for voip.

The company in question won't make a difference in the signal reliability for voip.

Voip signal quality is affected by 2 things. Your transfer rate needs to be high enough toAfter maintain a 64k connection, which means it needs to be over 100k a second (every internet connection in the damn world is over this now I think) and your jitter rate needs to be reliably within a +-10.

The only way to test that is by having it hooked up.

In most cases, cable is faster overall, but if there are line issues it tends to have a tad more jitter. Having said that, I use cable over dsl, and 100% of my phone use is ran through my own dialer system that I lease out to agents and use myself.

Best overall, if you have access to it, would be a fiberoptic solution such as verizon fios, but its not available in many areas. Fiber always has lower jitter and better ping rates and always has better phone signal for voip.

Thanks for that info.The clarity of call is secondary importance because 95% of my talking is done on my cell phone once the incoming land line call is forwarded to my cell.My main concern is the reliability of the incoming land line call being forwarded 100% of the time because if its not , based on my last trial with VOIP from the cable company , the caller gets a message that your phone is out of order or strange noises that make it appear to be out of order.So would this all be a function of the reliability of the internet connection?If so would the " business class " package from the cable company really make any difference?

I dropped AT&T for Time-Warner digital phone almost 2 years ago and it's worked fine. Plus I have much more control concerning forwarding, voice message email notifications, etc with Time-Warner than I had with AT&T.

I've tried both Vonage and Ringcentral with varying results. I think the connection speed obviously plays a big part in quality, but from my experience, your provider plays a part in reliability as well.

Is everyone using VOIP for their work? I have 3 VOIP lines, but im reconsidering landlines because this month, i had down internet and my work flow came to a complete stop.

How much work can you do in an insurance office without an internet connection, even if you could answer the phone?

If the phone is forwarded to your cell phone, the internet connection is meaningless for call quality. Just get the cheapest thing you can find that will do call forwarding and you'll be good. If you do want it for the occasional outbound call, use something like Lingo. If its just to be forwarded and incoming only, get something like broadvoice just to setup the forwarding.

Dan

Is everyone using VOIP for their work? I have 3 VOIP lines, but im reconsidering landlines because this month, i had down internet and my work flow came to a complete stop.

Where your VOIP lines ported from your land-line? Thats my problem is that the land line i want to port about 1200 of my active customers have this as my primary phone number and this number is ALWAYS forwarded to by cell phone and have never missed a call yet with ATT forwording it to my cellphone. As far as Comcast cable being down it doesn't happen too often as a internet user but last time i tried their VOIP about 3 years ago I know from what I heard form customers that it appeared that my phone was out of order and I lost a referral sale because she thought I was out of business.I know the Internet service doesn't go down that often but just wondering if there is a brief hiccup while my land line caller is being forwarded to my cell that that is enough to prevent the transfer from going through.When i called Comcast after about the fifth time I was told by a customer that they couldn't reach because my phone was out of order the Comcast reps acted like they where not aware of any systems problems that would have caused this on all these different occasions

I think i just answered my own question. I just hate paying ATT to keep a legacy phone number.I really don't use their service but because I must have the call forwarding feature the least expensive service is still 70.00 per month

You never have to change your phone number anymore. Just port it over to Ring Central and cancel your landline.

You never have to change your phone number anymore. Just port it over to Ring Central and cancel your landline.

excuse my ignorance on this but would this be more reliable as far as getting my calls forwarded to my cell phone vs using the local cable company VOIP system?

Back