Phone Messages

Indiana_Adam

Guru
100+ Post Club
This is one my mentor and I constantly disagree on. She feels it is necessary to call everyone back on her voicemail, whether they leave a voicemail. I, on the other hand, feel if the person calling doesn't feel the need to leave a voicemail, then I don't need to call them back. Our system displays the call number, regardless. Where do you all stand? If someone calls, but doesn't leave a voicemail....how important can it really be? And if it is, then what type of person doesn't leave a message explaining the importance of the situation? I'm all about customer service, but I'm also not about wasting my time with people who don't respect mine. Input/poll appreciated.

This is a great question. I pretty much agree with you. If the person didn't care enough to leave a voice mail, then why should I bother.

On the other hand, maybe they didn't leave a message a reason other that the reason you're assuming.

Do I call them back? Not usually. Have I lost business because I didn't return an un-left voice mail? Maybe, but I do side with you. There is something inside me that says I should take a couple of minutes and call someone who didn't leave a message. And I have done that. Most of the time it's because they dialed the wrong number or it's a lame sales call.

Is it a waste of time to return the call? Maybe, even probably. It's only a 10 second call to find out what the deal is/was.

When I don't leave a message (which is most of the time), I get those calls back. They always feel awkward...

Good question, though. I'm lean towards blowing them off, but there is a side of me that doesn't want to lose an opportunity. Oh, it also depends on the area code they are calling from. I'm not going to return a call from a number that has an area code I don't recognize...that's for sure.

I usually don't leave voice mail messages. When I call a business, if I get a machine, I try and call back. If I never reach anyone I usually take my business elsewhere.

What if it is a new customer and you don't answer the phone or call back because they didn't leave a VM? You should call the number back IMO.

Senior, you are correct. I'm talking about clients/potential clients. I leave a voicemail anytime I call someone. I consider it a polite thing to do. Plus, what is the point of a voicemail box or answering machine if people are not going to leave a message?

Senior, you're also correct in that I'm not too busy to return a call, it's a principal/respect thing. Maybe I'm a tad old school in that regard. I'd rather miss out on a sale then have to deal with a person that's going to call, not leave a message, and then get pissed because I don't return their calls.

Ob1, if I call a business and no one picks up, I assume they're with a client and are busy. At the very least, I leave my name and number, but usually give a brief description of why I'm calling.

Have any of you lost business(new or existing) by not calling back no message calls? What if my voicemail said something like "I don't return no-message calls, so please leave your name and number...." or is that crude and unprofessional?

Senior, where in IN are you located?

the real question is why are your phone calls going to VM? Get a answering service at least!

You talk about customer service, well, calls going to VM is shitty CS

Back